Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Former title of thread: Cavapoo Breeders. I changed the name since I ended up getting a miniature poodle who needed a good home. My mini poodle, Jordan, is a wonderful boy. Poodles have such great qualities. There's no need to cross breed and introduce any other breed (while charging a lot of $$$ just for a fancy name).

I've been looking for a Cavapoo (Caviler King Charles Spaniel X Poodle) and have determined that most, if not all, are from puppy mills. I've found one or two breeders a few hours away, that say they're not a puppy mill, (of course I would visit to find out for sure) but thousands of $$$$ for one.

Also one breeder told me that the puppy needs to be let out every hour, and 2-3 times overnight, which is too much. I need to sleep when I go to bed.

I think my best option is to find an adult that the owner no longer can keep. A toy poodle would be adorable too and an equal choice.

The only reason why puppy mills continue to stay in business is that when someone is looking for a puppy they don't do the research to determine if it's a legitimate breeder, and not a puppy mill. It only takes a few google searches and some reading to find out.

I believe most people would not buy from a puppy mill with full knowledge of how the dogs are treated, but they see the pictures of the adorable puppies online, and are too quick to decide to get the puppy, and many places will ship the puppy to the purchaser, who then will never know what environment the puppy came from.

It's important no matter how much someone "wants or needs" that puppy to completely be confident that the puppy is coming from a kind and caring breeder who raises the puppies in their house. I thinks it's also selfish to ignore the red flags indicating it's a puppy mill.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I'll admit, I had to see what the heck a Cavapoo is.

They've raided several puppy mills down here this Summer. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid them because not only are they in it for the bucks they don't consider the genetics at all.

I bought my last German Shepard from a breeder. I went to her home, it was obvious the parents were a part of the family and not kept in cages.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think puppy mills produce almost all of the designer breeds, and the poodle mixes are very popular.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Until a few years ago, I didn't even know there was a thing called a puppy mill. If not for the news reports about the raids I probably wouldn't know today.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder how many people don't know about them.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Considering how much time I spend learning stuff and never was aware, there could be quite a few. I mean really, someone wants a puppy and never gives a thought to where it came from as long as it's healthy. Why would they? Most think that anyone that has a dog or cat thinks of them the same way as we do, they're a cherished family member.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's true, and many puppy mills will fly the puppy to someone so they never know.

I did find a breeder 4&1/2 hours away who has the mom, and the puppies in their home. Her sister has the dad. We may get one of those, but putting down payment and choosing a puppy without seeing them first is concerning, because I don't want to choose the wrong one.

When we got our American Bobtail cat he was the one who came over by me, flopped down and purred and purred. I don't know that I would have picked him as the one from pictures.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I know, the personality has to fit the family. Getting one that isn't really into humans could make life a struggle.

Would I do a long trip like that? Probably not just because I've never been into a single breed that much that I would take that time.

You do realize that if you do make the trip a few pics are mandatory. Right?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, of course pics! I probably won't make the trip. I've expanded my search to include Toy Poodles, and Cockapoos. There are more options than Cavapoos locally and raised in homes.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I saw your post while sitting in the dentist office and decided to wait until I got home to answer. My hunt and peck on the phone takes forever.

Cockapoos are adorable. I like that choice. And if the one you choose is anything like one someone I knew was, you're in trouble. The little bugger was beyond smart.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully the smartness extends to housebreaking. I may be looking at one in the next few days. I'm not looking forward to the puppy stage.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Somehow I missed that when we found the three boys when they were puppies. Probably it had to do with them spending all day outside and then came into the mudroom at night until my old dog had to be put down. I didn't have any of the house breaking thing to go through. Once they had free access to the house they found their spots in my bedroom at night and that was it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What breed of dogs do you have @robin416?

I've found a Cockapoo breeder/seller locally, and think I'm dealing with a puppy mill. The person is selling the puppies from their home, but doesn't have the parents. Too many red flags and long delays in getting back with me on questions.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I only have one left now. We found three brothers when they were puppies. Best we can guess Momma was a black lab but the boys all appeared to have different fathers. All were black, one looked like he had hound in him, another looked more like full lab but he was small, the one I still have looks like he has australian shepard in him.

What did they say when you asked where the parents were?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The seller's mom has the mother (cockapoo) and a family friend has the dad (toy poodle). On Friday I talked on the phone with seller and was setting up a time to see the puppy, and I asked if she could get the mother of the puppy so I could see her. She said she would check with her mother and call me back. Haven't heard a peep since.

The seller's facebook page says her mission is selling puppies of her friends who don't have access to internet. Now how would someone have that many "friends" that need help selling their puppies that don't have access to internet? There are groups of Amish within reasonable driving distance (1 hour), which also is prime puppy mill area.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
It is beginning to seem your radar going off with a warning is beginning to be something to pay attention to.

Wait, are you saying the Amish have puppy mills? I know for them the animals all have jobs and are not considered family members like ours are but I'm surprised to learn about puppy mills.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For 32 years I've been living near one the highest % of Amish areas in the U.S., and yes I've seen enough to know that's true.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
There was a large Amish community where I lived in TN and never heard a thing about it. But considering I didn't know about puppy mills until the past few years that isn't surprising.

Most of what has been happening around here lately is hoarders. They just rescued over a 100 dogs from a couple hoarding them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There have some around here too. It seems that may be somewhat common.

A few years ago I purchased two goslings that were kept in very less than ideal conditions. When my husband and I walked into the barn there was a dead chicken laying there, and one sick chicken had gotten out of it's cage somehow and was laying on the floor.

Nothing was taken proper care of there, the house, the property, the person.

I called animal control on the place, which I don't think did much about it at that time since they continued to sell goslings for 2 years after that, but now do not.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts