Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old sapphire gem hen who has recently gotten very I’ll. I noticed three days ago that she was a little slower but figured maybe she was just tired or maybe needed to lay an egg, but yesterday I realized that she really just didn’t want to move and was fluffed out, the classic sign that somethings wrong, I figured maybe she was egg bound but didn’t feel the egg, and couldn’t see it. I decided to go ahead soak her with some epson salt wich seemed to ease the pain for her a little, and then through a syringe gave her water and a tums. I blow dried her then let her sit for a while and soaked her again but still nothing, at that point it was really late so I just put her in a nesting box hoping she would lay. This morning I went out and she’s worse, I’ve looked into it and they say you should be able to feel the egg, but I can’t. I searched up her symptoms of not moving, fluffed out, when I checked for an egg there was a small amount of blood, and it came up with coccidiosis. I was surprised I had never really heard of this but it does line up with some of her symptoms. Her comb is also a little darker. She can’t even stand now and I honestly don’t think my poor girl is gonna make it by the end of the day. I saw that you can treat your flock with corid for coccidiosis or cocci but I’m not 100% sure that’s what it is, is it still safe to treat her with it if I’m not sure? Or would it be to much for her system? I really love this sweet girl and would appreciate any advice you guys have, also I’m sorry this is like super long.

·
Administrator
23,782 Posts
Yes, you can treat with Corid. If it's cocci. @dawg53 needs to step in and provide the dosages since I never remember.

Something to consider, there may be something else going that caused an over abundance of cocci.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
If there's no improvement after using Corid, get her started on SMZ-TMP. Dosage is 1/4 tablet twice a day for 5 days. Here's where you can buy it. Consider purchasing it now:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts