Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what happened. I came home and one of my babies was on the ground bleeding from her eye down to her beak. We've tried to clean her eye but the blood is really stuck there. She is inside for now and we have given her water but she won't eat. She won't make a sound but she is breathing very fast and occasionally looks from one side to the next and keeps repeating this act. Her mouth is also opened.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Omg! Make sure she eats and drinks plenty of water! Poor baby! I hope she hasn't lost that eye! Try to keep her as comfortable as possible and give her water by droplets so she can stay hydrated. Also, keep an eye on the rest of the flock so the same doesn't happen again

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Sounds like your little one is in shock with the breathing rate being rapid. Keep doing what you are for her but for now, take away the food, and keep her where its quiet. Can you get some electrolyte stuff for her? Preferably save-a-chick? If not that, then pedialyte. Save-a-chick is better though. Its small powder packet stuff to mix in water. It helps a lot. Also, vetericyn for her wound. Its spendy I will warn you but is good stuff! Can also be used on humans too. Its for all different types of wounds and infections. Bottle says can be used for eye infections - safe to use around eyes, ears, mouth, etc. Care for traumatic wounds, cuts, abrasions, post surgical incisions, and more. A 4 oz bottle set me back $23 but it works.

Going to get this on its way to you and I'll pop in if I can think of anything more to do for her. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're giving her droplets of water with electrolytes in it. She stands up for a few moments maybe once in a whole but then lays back down. Her eye is still in there but it's covered with blood. I feel so bad for my baby :/ I think the others picked on her or maybe a dog came by and spoked them because she lost a lot of tail feathers. I have no idea what would have provoked this.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Put her in your lap in a towel and pet her and talk softly to her. She needs comfort and reassuring now just as much as medicine. Hugs and TLC go a long way!!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
She's still here today and that's a wonderful sign that all will be okay. Hugs to you and your little one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: She is SOOO much better. She walked around a bit and even chirped some. Plus her other eye is now opening and is just fine. She hasn't ate yet but I am hoping she will later on. I said a little prayer for her yesterday and it looked like it worked :) so happy !

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
OH that is just wonderful news!!!! I am doing a happy dance for you two! (good thing you can't see that) ;) She will eat. Do you have yogurt? She'd love that and the vitamin boost would be great for her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My chicken got attacked last November,luckily i was there at the time(a dog leapt our iron gates and tried to flee with her!) I chased it out and picked her up she had puncture wounds to her belly and near her tail. I wrapped her in a towel and held her close I tried to keep calm and spoke to her softly.she was shaking and in shock. After about fifteen minutes I set her down offered her water and sweetcorn her favourite and she did begin eating and drinking.I used sudocrem on her wounds and despite a limp she made a full recovery!! I lost her a few weeks back and I truly believe that TLC is huge factor in aiding an illness,I truly believe that if I had not been there at the time I don't think she would of survived I feel the shock would of killed her. Many friends whom own chickens are amazed she survived, I hardly did anything only love her even more than I usually do.:)

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
If she's only drinking, make sure she has some calories in the water. Electrolytes, or even some sugar dissolved would be great. Or Gatorade. Mine liked the red kind!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put a pinch of electrolytes in her water and she ate a few bites of carrots (her fav) today. I held her for a while too. I'm thinking about bathing her and the flock before reintroducing. I don't know when that will be because she is still in shock.

·
Registered
99 Posts
keramoon said:
I put a pinch of electrolytes in her water and she ate a few bites of carrots (her fav) today. I held her for a while too. I'm thinking about bathing her and the flock before reintroducing. I don't know when that will be because she is still in shock.
Poor doll! I'm so glad to hear that she's improving!! Sending good vibes over!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
My chicken got attacked last November,luckily i was there at the time(a dog leapt our iron gates and tried to flee with her!) I chased it out and picked her up she had puncture wounds to her belly and near her tail. I wrapped her in a towel and held her close I tried to keep calm and spoke to her softly.she was shaking and in shock. After about fifteen minutes I set her down offered her water and sweetcorn her favourite and she did begin eating and drinking.I used sudocrem on her wounds and despite a limp she made a full recovery!! I lost her a few weeks back and I truly believe that TLC is huge factor in aiding an illness,I truly believe that if I had not been there at the time I don't think she would of survived I feel the shock would of killed her. Many friends whom own chickens are amazed she survived, I hardly did anything only love her even more than I usually do.:)
I'm sorry you lost her Natalie. =( Hugs. You are right. Love does heal many things sometimes better than any medicine. When any of us including animals, feel cared for, our bodies relax allowing the healing to happen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well she just got her first bath. I must say I think she enjoyed it. We checked her wound and it looks like someone almost took s knife to her :/ I wonder how long it will take to heal

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would personally hold back on introducing her back yet I could be wrong but the blood could encourage pecking. Maybe keeping her in a pet carrier near the flock so she can see and hear her friends,feeding her at he same time,keeping a routine around her and allowing her to see it happening. I'm sure once the scab if there is one has disappeared she can be reintroduced without fuss. Slowly getting her back in her original routine should help her improve. After my ill pea was injured I tried to keep things as normal as possible,obviously bathing,creaming affected area continued but otherwise she was was not separated from Eric her male duck friend. If I had still had my other chickens I would have done as I have explained earlier to prevent infection and bullying. Eric was a great friend he helped and protected her right to her last day it was adorable to watch ") she died five months later after a very short illness I still miss her terribly as she proved to be such a fighter.....I wish luck with your ill girl and I'm sure you're doing your very best and she is appreciating every moment of it :D x

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks ! Yeah we're holding off introducing til later! I tried to take the others out but they were scared. Maybe a bird got them. Right now though she is enjoying herself.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great... Now she is at the point where she feels great but her wound says otherwise. She keeps trying to escape her cage and when she is out she climbs to my head

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Dr Harvey's healing cream at DrHarveys.com. Most amazing topical for treatment of skin lesions anywhere! Buy two as you'll want more than one. Safe if eaten and 100% natural and organic. I use it on myself and have used and promoted this product for about 17 years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts