Please help identify...

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by SouthFLGirl, Jul 26, 2020.

1. SouthFLGirl

SouthFLGirl New Member

I recently got feather footed bantam chicks from Tractor supply. After 2 days of research I haven't been able to identify them. I can only guess that I have at least 1 Cockrell due to slow feathering of the wings compared to the other 4. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 3rd picture down is the one I believe to be the Cockrell. 20200726_112428.jpg 20200726_112413.jpg 20200726_112352.jpg 20200726_112335.jpg 20200726_112308.jpg

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

They're awfully young to be able to ID. Someone might be able to spot something that can tell you.

What I know is they are not Silkies but I'll bet you already knew that. And I doubt they're faverolles.

3. SouthFLGirl

SouthFLGirl New Member

Yes, definitely know that they aren't silkies. From the pictures I have been able to find I'm leaning more towards Cochin or Brahma. I doubt they are Sebright although I would LOVE one of those beauties.

I'll probably end up just waiting until they're older to find out what they are and how many roos I got o_O

4. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Member

Definitely not sebright. My guess is Cochin.

5. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm not great with breeds, I'm better with gender but I would have to guess cochin also.
    As far as genders go, it's awfully early and they are all at different stages of feathering, there could be several reasons for that.

I would imagine the one that you think is a roo, is a roo but don't quote me on that. It's not because of slow feathering though, it's the shape of the wing. I won't go into that here.
    I wouldn't worry about it just yet, I understand the need to know but honestly, at this age no one short of a professional vent sexer could tell you and more often than not, they are wrong lol.

There is a saying "It's a rooster until it lays an egg". (just for information sake, you cannot go by crowing, there are many hens that crow, I have one.)

6. SouthFLGirl

SouthFLGirl New Member

I'm watching a lot of YouTube videos too and I'm wondering if they could be Pekin...simply due to coloring.

Only time will tell but I'm fairly certain I only have the 1 roo.

7. SouthFLGirl

SouthFLGirl New Member

I'm completely okay with whatever they are but the suspense is killing me

8. Sylie

Time will tell :) but seriously, at this age, don't count your chickens hahahahaha! omg I kill me

9. SouthFLGirl

SouthFLGirl New Member

Hahaha I'm just happy to have them. I'm fairly certain my ducks got eaten by the gator in the canal behind my house so I figured Bantam chicks would be a better bet and less drawn to water lol

10. Sylie

That does give them a tiny bit better chance but if you have gators, seriously, get gator proof fencing, do not let them free range, gators don't care if they have to walk a mile to get a snack and they can smell their snack that far too.

11. SouthFLGirl

SouthFLGirl New Member

FWC was supposed to come catch it since it's in a residential area. I haven't seen them or heard that they came and left with it but I will definitely be looking after my flock. I currently rent so gator proof fencing isn't really an option unfortunately.

12. Sylie

OH that's too bad :( Might have to make them a very sturdy pen with really strong fencing, Gators can go find their snack elsewhere!

13. SouthFLGirl

SouthFLGirl New Member

I agree.