Chicken Forum banner
5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Valentine 
#1 ·
I'm concerned about a hen that's engaged in feather-pecking in the past. We have a 'chicken-jail' but I have other concerns about isolating a hen in a small space when it gets so cold at night.

PP's were recommended but when I read up on them, the first thing I noticed was that you have to insert largeish prongs into the nostrils where they sit indefinitely... I think at least, this is uncomfortable. But what if the hen should experience a sinus condition that results in some congestion? I feel like it's possible she could suffocate before we even notice the start of the illness. And then on the slight chance she escapes, wouldn't she be a goner with so much of her vision obscured?

If you've used these, was it a positive or negative experience? Thanks for reading!

#5 ·
Not sure it’s related but my 2 chickens have been together for 4 years and get on famously. The other week one had a bleeding comb so I put some Vaseline on it after I washed her down. I’m putting this behaviour down to extreme heat we have experienced. They are back to normal and getting on very well and no more attacks. I guess you could try smothering her with Vaseline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.