Pigeons hatching chicken eggs!

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by jennifer, Sep 20, 2013.

1. jennifer

jennifer New Member

So I have been pet sitting next door- which is across the woods.. He has a pigeon house. I am going to slip a few eggs in and see if they hatch them! I have no broody here but want to see if this works. They can stay in the pigeon house after they hatch in a separate area.. Anybody heard of this?

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I have never heard of this, so I googled a bit. Pigeons hatch their eggs in 17 - 19 eggs, so this might be an issue. Since the instincts tell the pigeon they don't need to site 21 days. Pigeon eggs develop with 98.4 -100.4 degrees so this is different as well. With chicken eggs even a fluctuation of a degree can change the outcome of the hatch. Also I would assume the egg size would be a big factor too and if the pigeon can get the egg/s under them. Interesting thought though. Keep us posted.

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

If the pigeon did hatched them you would have to put them in a brooder, I would think. The pigeon feeds her little ones with pigeon milk not by pecking.

4. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the feeding thing could really knock this idea off the rails. Pigeon peeps have a completely different nutrition need than chicken peeps.

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

The feeding was the first thing that popped into my mind ... along with a number of other things.

They are different in so many ways. (sorry) While I can see a mom hatching an (small) egg or two that is about as far as it can go... The runt
    pigeon had a egg about the size of small banty. (That was about it)

But it would not be able to raise it, even if it did hatch it.

Best of luck...