Chicken Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Maryellen would know exactly what you're talking about with the hand rearing.

I thought later it would be like ducks and geese how they can imprint on a human.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
For many years I had tiels and hand fed hundreds of babies. I consider hand fed cockatiels to be the number one pet bird; even over conures and other parrot species. Their only fault is the amount of dander their bodies generate. In our previous home in WI I had a heated bird room.
I don't have that here or I'd probably have cockatiels. We still have the breeding cages and everything else required so maybe some day.

Squabs will imprint too, as will cockatiels, but these babies are too old to imprint and there's two of them.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Very cool Dan! I had no idea about doves being that way. I knew they would be friendly in a general sense but not that much. Adorable picture too! Love it.

I can attest to Rusty’s majesty! He is beautiful, and I giggled when he tried to snuggle up to the turkey and she wasn’t having it and he quickly ran away again. Idk why, it just amused me how he quickly ducked his head like ‘OK OK!! Sorry! I won’t touch you anymore!’ While she just ruffled a few feathers and went back to roosting. Chicken politics.....

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Very cool Dan! I had no idea about doves being that way. I knew they would be friendly in a general sense but not that much. Adorable picture too! Love it.

I can attest to Rusty’s majesty! He is beautiful, and I giggled when he tried to snuggle up to the turkey and she wasn’t having it and he quickly ran away again. Idk why, it just amused me how he quickly ducked his head like ‘OK OK!! Sorry! I won’t touch you anymore!’ While she just ruffled a few feathers and went back to roosting. Chicken politics.....
The turkeys are only friendly with Kimmi and me; everyone else is just barely tolerated. Actually there is one person the turkeys attacked and drove from the yard. Turkeys, like dogs, seem to be good judges of character. I'm laughing, it was hysterical to see the turkeys attacking and driving the woman from the yard. It was even funnier when all the dogs joined forces with the turkeys. The woman cursed and swore all the way off my land. I sure wish I had a video of that.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I’ve heard that about turkeys! I was told they make a good sort of barnyard guard dog, at least in some instances.
I bet that was a sight to see! I sure am glad they tolerated us stepping in there with you too- that wouldn’t have been fun.... lol!

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I’ve heard that about turkeys! I was told they make a good sort of barnyard guard dog, at least in some instances.
I bet that was a sight to see! I sure am glad they tolerated us stepping in there with you too- that wouldn’t have been fun.... lol!
Geese are better guards, but just too messy for me. You were in no danger of being attacked by turkeys or dogs as long as you were with me or Kimmi. Many people come here to see the birds or dogs. Only Beastie Bonnie arose the animal's wrath. If Kimmi hasn't told you of Beastie Bonnie ask her; not a nice person at all.

·
Registered
730 Posts
That’s a perfect name for that woman- and yeah, if that’s who they did it to then good riddance! Even more amusing now....

81 - 88 of 88 Posts