Chicken Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well, I think they’re beautiful too. We all know this. I can’t wait to see how long my girls end up- I’m fine with whatever they grow, they’re pretty already, but if they decide to keep growing I won’t be heartbroken either! Love how you described them too.
Hens don't usually get very long tails and your crosses are even less likely to have the long tail, but, if I messed up and you have a cockerel, it will have a long tail.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks Dan! I know having even about as much as they do is a little odd, I’m happy with however they do wind up; short or long, they’re incredibly sweet and pretty, a d I will always be grateful.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Nope. We all have bad days. I took no offense. If I had you would have known it in no uncertain terms. :mad:

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks Dan! I know having even about as much as they do is a little odd, I’m happy with however they do wind up; short or long, they’re incredibly sweet and pretty, a d I will always be grateful.
Good Morning World!

The pullets won't have short tails; probably a little longer than a normal hen.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
This is the long tail pullet who laid her first egg yesterday. I don't know if it shows but she is much better looking now; sleeker, with tighter feathering.

ppppp.jpg

So tame and friendly; almost a nusance at times.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
She does look a lot neater in this pic. The other looked like a bird that was mid molt.

Are Phoenix normally human friendly or did you ruin her?

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
This Rusty. His tail is still growing but measures 33 inches today. My pride and joy, I'm getting impatient for chicks. One longtail hen (the mother to my longtail pullets) has 5 eggs in her nest; for whatever reason she has not been laying as well as she did last summer. The longtail pullets are less productive producing an egg every once in the while. My guess is that it is the weather. When the weather was warm one pullet produced four eggs in four days. Unfortunately all four were clear when put in the incubator.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Yep, I can see why he's so special. The tail is amazing.

Something to think about on your long tail girl. Breeding might be more difficult because of her tail.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
What an absolutely adorable pic. Kimmi caught them at just the right moment.
She certainly did. Did you recognize what they are? Squabs. While my pigeons are pretty to look at, they are nothing special so I'm hand feeding these two in the hopes that super tame white doves (pigeons) will sell. Pigeons are doves, but for many people the word, "pigeon", is a turn-off
while the word, "dove", is just the opposite. And if they don't sell, it will be fun to have them flying around the turkey shed.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
I had no clue what they were. I forgot you also have pigeons.

When they've been around humans a lot aren't they pretty tame normally?

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I had no clue what they were. I forgot you also have pigeons.

When they've been around humans a lot aren't they pretty tame normally?
Not pet tame. I've hand fed squabs before and the results are delightful; way different than "tame" pigeons that tolerate people.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Well, this could be really interesting. Do they actually seem to enjoy their humans?
Yes, very much so. I wanted to raise two together so it wouldn't grow up as a feathered human and still be as tame as possible. If you have ever been around a hand fed cockatiel, it would be comparable except tiels are more intelligent.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts