Chicken Forum banner
861 - 871 of 871 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #861 ·
Oh no! I’m so sorry Dan- I know how beloved Pablo has been. I’m sorry for the loss and for the potential for illness going on. I hope things will work out there and be isolated, and the little one grows up good.
A definite downer, but not a total surprise as he was never the healthiest rooster. The potential for disease is there but low. Still, it's better safe than sorry. His chicks look good.

The many times you've mentioned him I know how important he was to you. I sure hope that there is nothing going on and that is was something only he suffered from.
By now you'd think I'd know better than to get attached to a none to healthy chicken. Pure breeds don't make the best pets as they, all to often, get sick and die. Mix breeds make the better pet as they are genetically stronger on average. Kimmi's last pet hen was ten when she died; still laid a few eggs and was killed by a hawk-a mix breed. Since then Kimmi doesn't allow herself to think of chickens as pets; they die to easily for her taste. Shortly after we moved here to TN, disease wiped out most of the birds we had brought with us from WI.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A big set-back to my projects-I found Pablo, my black frizzle rooster, dead this morning; with no warning. I've seven of his chicks in the brooder and one is a black frizzle-hopefully a cockerel. Still, not a good start to the day. While he showed no symptoms of disease, it's still a concern that more serama in that pen will sicken and die. The pen will have to be quarantined.
Oh no. I know that is hard, comfort is being sent to you. ❤

Losing a favorite chicken is like a kick form a horse. But you frogive it and heal. And getting a new favorite is like a strong hug. It pushes a way all the pain from losing the bird. You don't forget and move on. It can be hard but you have to. Stop wallowing in the sorrow of the pass and step forward into the present. Always forgive never forget. And move on and keep the memories of your pass chickens but don't build your self a prison. Just keep moving up the path you have.
- chick named small fri

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #863 ·
I've raised birds/poultry too long to wallow over the death of one. Yes, he was a favorite; spending most of his life as a house pet, but he was always less than robust and went through long periods of time where it was day-to-day. My wife, who professes not to be close to any bird, is likely to be more upset by this when she gets home than me. But thank you for your post. It is nice to know that people still care about people.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,580 Posts
wow! 50 years?! That is amazing knowing you had to deal with all that noise and poop lol. I will get some pics of 5, because I only have a picture of one. I live in NC, and We got 3 Seramas wanting a cute little bird. Back then I didn't want a rooster, so I gave him away and he drowned. then our other was attacked by a raccoon and died. So we had a lonely hen, and got 5 more. now they are 9-11 weeks old and we are putting them all together. The hen that was attacked was mourned... chickens really do take a place in your heart!! View attachment 42517
this is the last hen standing of the first group: pearl!
Shes absolutely gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #868 ·
My silkied serama hatching eggs didn't turn out. Of 16 eggs 9 chicks hatched and thrived-all smooth feathered. These two might be added to my flock (cockerel and pullet). The other seven are not near as nice as my own so they will go ASAP Many people have the idea that poor quality chicks will improve with age; it does not happen. Flawed chicks grow into flawed adults.

Bird Beak Chicken Feather Wood

The pullet on the left has a unique coloration and is of good size for her age. The cockerel on is of good size and has a great shape. You couldn't tell it by the picture though. These two had never been handled before.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My silkied serama hatching eggs didn't turn out. Of 16 eggs 9 chicks hatched and thrived-all smooth feathered. These two might be added to my flock (cockerel and pullet). The other seven are not near as nice as my own so they will go ASAP Many people have the idea that poor quality chicks will improve with age; it does not happen. Flawed chicks grow into flawed adults.

View attachment 42600
The pullet on the left has a unique coloration and is of good size for her age. The cockerel on is of good size and has a great shape. You couldn't tell it by the picture though. These two had never been handled before.
those are very cute and pretty. Do you show your birds?

861 - 871 of 871 Posts