Chicken Forum banner
841 - 860 of 871 Posts

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,580 Posts
At first we tried to let the kids run free in the backyard, kid proofing as needed. That doesn't work as I could kid proof all day, every day and never get done. Now they have their own large pen with a kid playground.

Now that the weather is cooler the birds are doing a lot better. I've been finding fresh duck eggs just laid on the ground. I've no idea what kind-muscovy-mallard-call duck. It's out of season for mallard, but I know my mallard hens are not pure mallard.

These little guys hatched yesterday-it's spring!

View attachment 42456
Wow, that's good. Yep mine used to climb my playground ladder and just poop all over the playground.
After that it kind of just turned into theirs, haha!

Oh yes, it's cooling down here also and getting so much better for my animals and birds, now I don't have to feel so bad for them anymore. I would have a hard time finding duck eggs scattered around the yard, might just depend on how many acres you have though. I assume your duck eggs are for hatching?

The chicks looks amazing, happy and healthy! Glad they all are doing good. Did all chicken eggs make it, Or did some not hatch?

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,580 Posts
What was wrong with my post that it needed cleaning up? "Goofing off"? I do not understand.
Sorry for the misunderstanding she meant lovely chooks post and some of mine.

Lovely chooks was the one who started writing on here and then she started saying some stuff about me and then we got into a big quarrel on here so Robin had to clean up our stuff.
And like I said sorry about that. Hope you understand!:confused:🙃

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #845 ·
Sorry for the misunderstanding she meant lovely chooks post and some of mine.

Lovely chooks was the one who started writing on here and then she started saying some stuff about me and then we got into a big quarrel on here so Robin had to clean up our stuff.
And like I said sorry about that. Hope you understand!:confused:🙃
You two involved me in your foolishness and it caused anger. Use your head and think next time... Apology accepted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just joined this group today and still looking around the different threads and forums. While I have different breeds and species, it's serama that interest me the most. Are there threads for serama bantams? I do not show the birds I raise, so mine are pets. View attachment 35284 View attachment 35286 View attachment 35288
I am in love right now!!!!!!! I own 6 Seramas now and are looking to breed them. My rooster is a frizzle (so cute) we should talk Serama

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #847 ·
I am in love right now!!!!!!! I own 6 Seramas now and are looking to breed them. My rooster is a frizzle (so cute) we should talk Serama
I'm always happy to talk; specially about birds. I do hope you post pictures. Where do you call home-state? How old are your serama? How did you get them? I started when my wife, Kimmi, got me 20+ serama hatching eggs for a birthday several years ago. I've kept birds for 50-60 years; of all kinds.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm always happy to talk; specially about birds. I do hope you post pictures. Where do you call home-state? How old are your serama? How did you get them? I started when my wife, Kimmi, got me 20+ serama hatching eggs for a birthday several years ago. I've kept birds for 50-60 years; of all kinds.
wow! 50 years?! That is amazing knowing you had to deal with all that noise and poop lol. I will get some pics of 5, because I only have a picture of one. I live in NC, and We got 3 Seramas wanting a cute little bird. Back then I didn't want a rooster, so I gave him away and he drowned. then our other was attacked by a raccoon and died. So we had a lonely hen, and got 5 more. now they are 9-11 weeks old and we are putting them all together. The hen that was attacked was mourned... chickens really do take a place in your heart!!
Bird Chicken Phasianidae Beak Galliformes

this is the last hen standing of the first group: pearl!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #849 ·
Pearl is a pretty bird; a nice high vertical tail. She looks to be short legged so you'll want to get a normal legged rooster. When two short legged serama are paired together about 25% of the eggs die before they hatch. Is your frizzle rooster normal legged. It's easy to tell; just look at your birds and if they appear very close to the ground they are short legged.
In the picture, the wood shavings may be making her appear short legged when she isn't.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,711 Posts
Awww she’s very pretty! Welcome to the forum, I’m sorry for the losses you went through!
Roosters are definitely unexpected joys once you have had a good one (or more!)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #854 ·
thank you! And I agree roosters can be actually really sweet.
Another reason I like serama and phoenix; having multiple roosters together does not involve a lot of bickering and never serious fighting. It is nice to be able to have several beautiful roosters and not have to keep them separate other than breeding situations.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Another reason I like serama and phoenix; having multiple roosters together does not involve a lot of bickering and never serious fighting. It is nice to be able to have several beautiful roosters and not have to keep them separate other than breeding situations.
so I could have multiple living together? no fighting?(or not a lot)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #857 · (Edited)
so I could have multiple living together? no fighting?(or not a lot)
I can't give a guarantee because different serama lines may be somewhat different. I have four serama roosters-one is dominant, but does not lord it over the others. Your best bet is to get them young and let them mature together OR when adding a new rooster, get it as a youngster and let it grow up in the flock. That way the original will not be threatened.

A friend in WV has a huge flock with many roosters all sharing the same space.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just read your introduction. It is not safe or a good idea to have serama/serama roosters with larger breeds. Should a larger aggressive rooster go after a serama rooster the serama will lose, be injured, or killed. Serama can not compete with larger breeds for the necessities of life.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #858 ·
A big set-back to my projects-I found Pablo, my black frizzle rooster, dead this morning; with no warning. I've seven of his chicks in the brooder and one is a black frizzle-hopefully a cockerel. Still, not a good start to the day. While he showed no symptoms of disease, it's still a concern that more serama in that pen will sicken and die. The pen will have to be quarantined.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,711 Posts
Oh no! I’m so sorry Dan- I know how beloved Pablo has been. I’m sorry for the loss and for the potential for illness going on. I hope things will work out there and be isolated, and the little one grows up good.

·
Administrator
21,760 Posts
The many times you've mentioned him I know how important he was to you. I sure hope that there is nothing going on and that is was something only he suffered from.

841 - 860 of 871 Posts