Chicken Forum banner

741 - 760 of 785 Posts

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
You ended up with a real gem of a bird. Even if he is too large for the breed that personality is hard to not fall in love with.
Bingo. We are all floored by him. And now he has taken to me as well. Hubbs went to take him from me for a visit and Sammy about fell off my arm trying to herd him away from me! Goofball. He will just sit and cuddle for an hour- we timed it this eve- before getting fidgety. Not wanting down just kinda internally squirmy lol.

A gem is the truth. We cannot fathom how anyone let him go- unless they never bothered to know him. It’s the only explanation. Love his tiny heart and bay red eyes.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
Most show bird breeders don't get as attached as we do. They don't see that part of the personalities.

There are other gems in your flock too. The hubs who seems to be as interested in them as you are and of course Tristan (?). Just so you know I'm not the best with names.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Well, you did great, so yeah! Hahaha repetition has its uses I suppose. (By me I mean. Ha!)

I do feel like we really struck some pretty good gold with our flock out of the gate, and I cannot complain- we love them all, the big weirdos! Maybe even especially the biggest weirdos! What can I say? It’s charming.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
All the orphans and oddballs always end up being the most cherished in my flock. It seems over the years that people almost always talk me out of my show birds, and now I don't show anymore anyway.

Reactions: robin416

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Well, to a degree, they are all just chickens. Or they are until they pick up some weird habit or quirk, and then they have your attention, and so thus they become a favorite by default. Unless they’re mean. Tiny and Chip are jockeying for position a bit again- I think Sammys presence is precipitating this.... but mainly they totally ignore him. He’s interested in them but doesn’t seem to mind.

Oh! We did bring tiny Alarma and Hensley out with Sammy too- he was sooo interested in herding them over w the others. Cute but ALARMa freaked out of course. She’s ridiculously small, [mention]danathome [/mention] ! Let me get pics of her again today but she’s staying extra teeny!
As an aside bc I saw it- you can see why Susies feather shape has kept us guessing for a while- it LOOKS pointy- but it’s not ACTUALLY bc of the tiny fringe at the edges. Odd! (Neck feathers)

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #748 ·
Tiny she is but for a serama not ridiculously small for her age. There are some serama no taller than a coke can at maturity.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Tiny she is but for a serama not ridiculously small for her age. There are some serama no taller than a coke can at maturity.
That just might end up being her Dan- her feathers grow but she has mostly stopped again - she probably has one more good growth spurt before she’s done and she’s NOT as tall as a Coke can yet, I just looked over at one and- nope. Love her tiny heart!

Unless you mean tail feathers held straight up, but they’re still not that tall- THAT would be tiny. Her tail MIGHT be even w one now, if not quite.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Both the Serama are so fun- they’re really so different from the other chickens! Ok all 3, if I include Sammy here too, and we know how I feel about my chicken Sammy!
But truly, they do have so much personality and truly enjoy the companionship of their people, far more than any of our others do. It is clear what they have been bred for! I just think that is neat and needed to be said too.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #755 ·
Both the Serama are so fun- they’re really so different from the other chickens! Ok all 3, if I include Sammy here too, and we know how I feel about my chicken Sammy!
But truly, they do have so much personality and truly enjoy the companionship of their people, far more than any of our others do. It is clear what they have been bred for! I just think that is neat and needed to be said too.
Told you so! Many years in the making and not all serama are what mine are.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
Told you so! Many years in the making and not all serama are what mine are.
Dan is very much one hundred percent right about that! Your birds are tame for a reason. Competitive birds in Japan, I bet not so tame,

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
He IS!! He’s just super specially unique!

I do know how fortunate I am to have the two I do from where they are from. Chappie is a bit of a- well is he related to Fraz? How close? I’m curious, he has this funny thing he does where he crows to one side- severely! It’s lovably adorable, he’s just special too- plus his oddball frizzled feathering ring. Idk. And he toots when he talks. It’s cute. I really need to video that too- sorry thinking out loud! Anyway- just curious!

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
LOL I'm picturing your fingers trying to frantically keep up with your brain as the thoughts come spilling out.

·
Serama King
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #760 ·
He IS!! He’s just super specially unique!

I do know how fortunate I am to have the two I do from where they are from. Chappie is a bit of a- well is he related to Fraz? How close? I’m curious, he has this funny thing he does where he crows to one side- severely! It’s lovably adorable, he’s just special too- plus his oddball frizzled feathering ring. Idk. And he toots when he talks. It’s cute. I really need to video that too- sorry thinking out loud! Anyway- just curious!
YUK! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Fraz is nasty. Different mother and different father so any relationship would be distant; cousin somewhere down the line. All of my hens are related to Fraz's great grandmother in someway. Only Snowball is totally unrelated.

741 - 760 of 785 Posts