Chicken Forum banner

701 - 720 of 739 Posts

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 ·
Did she lay normally before this mystery with her started?
That I do not know. She did brood a few times out there. With any hen that has room I add to the clutch, I only know of the problem because she is in the house right by my coffee spot. The hen is now off the nest and no new egg so I put one in the nest. The idea is to get those hormones going so she goes broody as quick as possible.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 ·
Oh oddness! I hope her system sorts itself out one way or the other.

Today is another good day- she is eating good atmgain, although she doesn’t want to eat regular chicken feed yet, the spoiled brat. we upgraded her ‘nest’ box, added some plushy stuffing under the towel where she rests so her bony breastbone isn’t pressing against the ground. She is so thin it causes her to have to lean to one side too, poor baby. Also, about half the time she makes a BM she promptly falls back into it. If I’m not right there that means it gets rubbed in really good! Ugh. Aside from that she’s just about gotten standing again. She was just about ready for nap time here.

She likes to be covered up when she naps, makes sense to me! She’s pretty vulnerable.
Since she has improved do what you did yesterday and perhaps she will continue an upward climb.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Try a little wet food with some blueberries or some sort of sweet fruit. It might get her eating a bit more.

Dan, If she was internally laying she'd be either really sick or dead by now. Your girl is about the most unusual bird I've ever read when it come sto not laying.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #704 ·
Try a little wet food with some blueberries or some sort of sweet fruit. It might get her eating a bit more.

Dan, If she was internally laying she'd be either really sick or dead by now. Your girl is about the most unusual bird I've ever read when it come sto not laying.
Not necessarily, a hen's body will absorb such eggs. It's only when egg production is faster than the absorption rate does the bird get sick. With RR, she tries to develop six or so eggs and then broods. A precious few eggs do pass so it is possible. And yes, she is most unusual.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Chappie the partially frizzled, genetically interesting Serama!
You can really see it coming out more in that ring of feathers now; at least for now it is concentrated from a circle around his neck- like a special necklace! Lol

·
Registered
856 Posts
He’s satiny soft all over- not silkied of course, but not quite regular hard edge too. He’s neat. His comb looks like fire from the side, it’s neat too. We love him so much.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #711 ·
His feathering backs my thoughts that there is more to feathering the a pair of genes, that there are modifying genes that work with the main gene pair to create feathering. So, yes, I would say he is PART frizzle, having the modifying genes, but not the main genotype.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Agreed. Either that or he’s a chimera of some sort, which would be even less likely.

Edit to add- Dan, you really gave us the most unusual of your genetics en masse!

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #714 ·
According to many frizzle fanatics he doesn't exist. I've posted about similar birds on BYC and there is all kinds of explanations from poor diet to being dirty, but certainly not a frizzle like that.

·
Registered
856 Posts
According to many frizzle fanatics he doesn't exist. I've posted about similar birds on BYC and there is all kinds of explanations from poor diet to being dirty, but certainly not a frizzle like that.
I’m sure it’s easiest to look at it in terms of has or doesn’t have gene x and that is that, and it takes two copies to make it express etc etc. that is simplest for sure.
But truly.... there are PLENTY of instances where a carrier of a gene has just a touch of that gene that is expressed somehow- I am one example actually. I carry an eye disorder, and have some mild symptoms, while either of my boys may have it as it is male expressed disease only. My wording isn’t working good this morning but you get my meaning. I just mean that I can’t see why that couldn’t be a really simple explanation.... it will take more genetic testing to determine exactly how that works out, and that’s time consuming and expensive. Best guess is trial and error through breeding, watch and learn! Take that BYC!

(Jk, jk!!)

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #716 ·
RR has gone broody again after laying 2 eggs with no shell and 7 noneggs. She is now brooding 5 eggs that I gave her to replace her own.

My porcelain d"Uccle has gone broody--finally.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
She is the most bizarre bird. To have these laying issues and yet be healthy.

Does this mean there's going to be little D's this month?

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #718 ·
She is the most bizarre bird. To have these laying issues and yet be healthy.
Agreed.
Does this mean there's going to be little D's this month?
Yes; I hope. I have three that hatched 3 weeks ago and another clutch that was to hatch this week, but as bad luck would have it, the nest box came loose on the wall and fell.

701 - 720 of 739 Posts