Chicken Forum banner

681 - 700 of 739 Posts

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Truthfully, I prefer Sei's look. I just don't like the over exaggeration of the heat and tail touching or nearly touching.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #682 ·
There does get to a point I do not like either. the picture shows the type. To me it is uuugggggllllyyyyyy and deformed in appearance. With chickens there's something for about everyone who likes poultry.

From Google images.

·
Registered
856 Posts
See that just doesn’t hardly seem humane; there’s a reason they are unable to breed- nature says ENOUGH! And no offense to anyone who does raise them, it’s just not my preference either!

Dan I am hoping with a little time and some hens to service we can breed Sammy into a really nice line with Chappie and his girl Alarma’s offspring. Alarma is going to be extra tiny I think. I love it- we call her ‘pidgey’ bc she is so regular-bird-like!

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 ·
See that just doesn’t hardly seem humane; there’s a reason they are unable to breed- nature says ENOUGH! And no offense to anyone who does raise them, it’s just not my preference either!

Dan I am hoping with a little time and some hens to service we can breed Sammy into a really nice line with Chappie and his girl Alarma’s offspring. Alarma is going to be extra tiny I think. I love it- we call her ‘pidgey’ bc she is so regular-bird-like!
Very extreme is not to my liking either. Different yes-like Sammy-other than size I consider him perfect. OM-it would work well. Breed Sammy to a smaller hen and pick the smaller offspring for your next generation. With Sammy's good looks and the size of mine I predict you could have a gorgeous serama flock in a few years.

Turkeys are another extreme. Some varieties are so big they can't breed naturally and artificial insemination has to be used. That was the summer job of one of the teachers I worked with; gathering then inseminating the hen turkeys-not a job I'd want-though I know how in case I ever have need of the knowledge.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yay! I was hoping that will end up being a good genetic pairing in the end. Sammy is generally more upright than I usually (aesthetically) like. However, because he does NOT have the big barrel chest or have his head pushed backward to nearly horizontal, and of course he has his beautiful coloring- I really love his looks! He’s kind of another squeaky abnormally loud crowing one, but that’s ok. It’s all grown on me. (Good thing, hey?)

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #687 ·
Yay! I was hoping that will end up being a good genetic pairing in the end. Sammy is generally more upright than I usually (aesthetically) like. However, because he does NOT have the big barrel chest or have his head pushed backward to nearly horizontal, and of course he has his beautiful coloring- I really love his looks! He’s kind of another squeaky abnormally loud crowing one, but that’s ok. It’s all grown on me. (Good thing, hey?)
To my way of thinking your Sammy is far better than those show quality birds in looks.

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
Very extreme is not to my liking either. Different yes-like Sammy-other than size I consider him perfect. OM-it would work well. Breed Sammy to a smaller hen and pick the smaller offspring for your next generation. With Sammy's good looks and the size of mine I predict you could have a gorgeous serama flock in a few years.

Turkeys are another extreme. Some varieties are so big they can't breed naturally and artificial insemination has to be used. That was the summer job of one of the teachers I worked with; gathering then inseminating the hen turkeys-not a job I'd want-though I know how in case I ever have need of the knowledge.
That's what happened when they developed the broad breasted turkey in this country. On a modern commercial turkey farm, the year is divided into insemination, feeding and meat prep.

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts

When nature is in charge the birds are bred to fit their environmental niche with characteristics which allow them to best thrive wherever they are. Human kind has influenced some strange birds throughout history.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Supposed to possibly freeze for the next two nights-my poor garden.
If you spread a good tarp or something over it, they might stay above freezing under the tarp with the ground temps being a bit warmer already.... fingers crossed for you! I’ve always heard don’t plant before May 10 here.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
When I lived in the N. GA mountains and pushed things too far I had straw I covered my plants with. It made for great mulch at the end of the growing season.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
Just about everything here is green, growing, blooming, and setting fruit. I can't cover everything so it's pick and choose.
Those that were planted in the last three days will be dug up and moved to the greenhouse.

OM-how's the baby? I haven't been online. had to go for my glasses and by time I got home pain took over...

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #698 ·
The serama hen I thought to be laying internally has weaned her chicks and laid her first egg yesterday; an egg with no shell. Like last time, I'm putting a normal egg in the nest each time the hen "lays". She is on the nest right now and I've been listening to the egg call for, what seems, hours. Hopefully there will be a normal egg this time. It would appear that egg laying with this hen will always be abnormal, so she will be a foster mom for as long as she lays.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Oh oddness! I hope her system sorts itself out one way or the other.

Today is another good day- she is eating good atmgain, although she doesn’t want to eat regular chicken feed yet, the spoiled brat. we upgraded her ‘nest’ box, added some plushy stuffing under the towel where she rests so her bony breastbone isn’t pressing against the ground. She is so thin it causes her to have to lean to one side too, poor baby. Also, about half the time she makes a BM she promptly falls back into it. If I’m not right there that means it gets rubbed in really good! Ugh. Aside from that she’s just about gotten standing again. She was just about ready for nap time here.

She likes to be covered up when she naps, makes sense to me! She’s pretty vulnerable.

681 - 700 of 739 Posts