Chicken Forum banner

661 - 680 of 739 Posts

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
I've had both button and cortunix quail. Both species nested, but conditions were rather exact. The buttons my science class raised in the classroom. The students were always excited when new chicks hatched under the quail hens.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
At this point, I'm glad none of mine went broody. I don't need the extra unless I choose to have them.

Mine are ripping into their lettuce treat right now. So are the Guineas.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
At this point, I'm glad none of mine went broody. I don't need the extra unless I choose to have them.

At this point, I'm glad none of mine went broody. don't need the extra unless I choose to have them.

They won't ever go broody with the eggs being collected and it is doubtful, to the extreme, that one would go broody with eight quail being present.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
I don't collect the eggs. They lay them wherever they decide to. And in the shavings and hay it's like an Easter egg hunt looking for them.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #665 ·
They're still not likely to brood in a group setting----unless they have lots of room. And then, just maybe.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #669 ·
Serama hatching tonight-9 eggs and 3 have hatched so far- I'm hoping all 9 hatch successfully. The hen laid too many eggs to cover so 3 were in the incubator and it's those three that have hatched-eggs under the hen are pipped. YEAH new incubator-it works!!

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Son of a gun. I do remember those days when It seemed like every one of my female Silkies went broody at the same time. I had a lot of female Silkies.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Dang, his comb is almost as big as he is. He's a lovely boy.

I wonder what it would take to have his true color come through in a pic. He sounds like what they were calling porcelain Silkies, except their heads were blue and the body light cream to dark cream.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #679 ·
Dang, his comb is almost as big as he is. He's a lovely boy.

I wonder what it would take to have his true color come through in a pic. He sounds like what they were calling porcelain Silkies, except their heads were blue and the body light cream to dark cream.
Yes, he has the large comb of his father too. One of these days when it's warm again I'll have Kimmi take his picture outside under natural light. Perhaps the true colors will show.

661 - 680 of 739 Posts