Chicken Forum banner

41 - 60 of 785 Posts

·
Administrator
19,627 Posts
They are so darned sweet. It won't be long and rough and tumble will be breaking out everywhere.

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
What fun! 8 puppies with 3 older siblings all rough and tumbling together; I do believe I feel more gray hair coming in just at the thought-HA

·
Administrator
19,627 Posts
When mine would get all wound up and get into knock down drag out fights I could tell them to go take a nap and off their little behinds would go to their bed.

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
I wasn't referring to Punnet squares. Those are fun and accurate in an idealized world where you have a known genome. I think you are doing what I am doing and what was done a hundred years ago, which was to list the characteristics and sketch them out for yourself.

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
Those pups sure are cute!

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I wasn't referring to Punnet squares. Those are fun and accurate in an idealized world where you have a known genome. I think you are doing what I am doing and what was done a hundred years ago, which was to list the characteristics and sketch them out for yourself.
It has been along day and my mind is not grasping the jist of your post.

As to the puppies, just wait, in a couple weeks the puppies will be beyond cute. We're hoping they will be long-haired like the mom and not short-haired like Shorty. Fuzzy puppies are irresistible.

·
Administrator
19,627 Posts
I think what he's saying is punnet squares work when you know the genetic background but not so much when there's other breeds or odd genetic displays. EI, the Silkied Seramas.

I lost my last dog a year ago. I've sworn no more. People posting such adorable pics make it so much harder to stick to what I know is the right decision. Especially if those little puppy babies end up with long hair. I liked my long hair dogs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Very nice!

I wish I knew more about different breeds of chickens but it sure is nice to see everyone's and learn!

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
It's an endless lifelong learning curve and there are those of us who get hooked on it. Dan is doing some very interesting old school breeding work! And I'm sure he can tell you that's what it is --work!

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I think what he's saying is punnet squares work when you know the genetic background but not so much when there's other breeds or odd genetic displays. EI, the Silkied Seramas.I understood about the Punnet Square but not the rest. This morning, with a clear mind, I do. I' m a morning person. By noon my mind starts getting foggy; a problem with age and health.

I lost my last dog a year ago. I've sworn no more. People posting such adorable pics make it so much harder to stick to what I know is the right decision. Especially if those little puppy babies end up with long hair. I liked my long hair dogs.
Why "right decision"? I can't imagine not having a dog or two or three.

It's an endless lifelong learning curve and there are those of us who get hooked on it. Dan is doing some very interesting old school breeding work! And I'm sure he can tell you that's what it is --work!
But fun work! Another of my project, at this time, is to cross serama and phoenix to see what is dominant, etc.

When I crossed silkie and phoenix it showed that crest and feathered feet/toes is dominant. Tail length, skin color, and number of toes is incomplete dominance. Silkied feathering to be recessive-which I already knew.

·
Administrator
19,627 Posts
Why "right decision"? I can't imagine not having a dog or two or three.

But fun work! Another of my project, at this time, is to cross serama and phoenix to see what is dominant, etc.

When I crossed silkie and phoenix it showed that crest and feathered feet/toes is dominant. Tail length, skin color, and number of toes is incomplete dominance. Silkied feathering to be recessive-which I already knew.
Believe me, it's difficult not having several around. But with me being by myself and the possibility having to be gone at least overnight it's best I not bring another one into the house.

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
I go back and forth, I miss having a good farm dog.

·
Administrator
19,627 Posts
If you have good backup if you have to be gone then it's easier. I have to rely on my neighbors to take care of my beasts if I have to be gone. I don't want them to have to since they work.

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
Yes, good point, although I'm such a curmudgeon, I haven' spent a night away from the farm in 13 or 14 years, and if I did now, I'd probably worry about everything.

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
I never knew anything about chickens when I first got into them. All I knew was they were white. Learned a lot within just a couple of years. Especially the fact that not all chickens are white.
I really do feel like the more I know the less I know. It's such a lifelong learning curve!

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
And...I still haven't come to terms with the Zen Egg Koan: "A chicken is an egg's attempt to get to the next egg. Also: "What is the sound of one wing flapping?" Also: "If a tree falls in the woods, does the chicken still hear it while crossing the road?" It makes me feel so miniscule in the poultry universe.

Reactions: robin416

·
Administrator
19,627 Posts
You enjoy twisting my brain in knots, don't you?

I don't plan on being anywhere overnight. But at some point I know that I'll be stuck in the hospital at least one night, maybe more. Stuff happens after you become an adult.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
Yeah, I'm struggling with being gone a week myself- we are going on vacation in a couple weeks, and normally my in laws watch our pets, aside from the hermit crabs, which my best friend does. Wellll.... that was before we had chickens. AND my in laws are joining us on this trip for the first half of the week! I have got to figure out what to do for all the animals. (Also have an older mostly blind Lab, poor girl, and the cat that is her BFF.)
Just for fun, here is a few shots of my biggest girl, Princess. She's super sweet!

41 - 60 of 785 Posts