Chicken Forum banner

561 - 580 of 584 Posts

·
Serama King
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #562
The abdomen is somewhat soft, but not as much as one would expect. I wonder how long it takes for a yolk to be absorbed by the body.

It's too bad I'm not rich. An x ray would solve the issue.

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
Those girls can be really sneaky when it comes to what's hatched.

Are they now in the warm toasty house and is Kimmi looking at you with the look?

·
Serama King
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
Yes, mores birds in the house. Kimmi seemed thrilled with the new babies, but I am quite ready to return the mess outside to their coops. It's suppose to warm up Saturday and out they go. While Kimmi has been patient, I am tired of feathers and dust everywhere. It's one thing to have a house chicken, but a flock... I'm about ready to throttle the phoenix with the cochin chicks with all her scratching and flapping. It's one big chore to clean up after her. There's wood chips everywhere.

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
LOL I remember those days. But mine were in my home office so the mess was confined to that area. The feather dust was astounding. I'm surprised it didn't fry my computer tower.

·
Serama King
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
Phoenix are much more dusty and dirty than the serama. And the amount of feed! With several inches of snow and the severe cold there is no free ranging. The feed bill has more than doubled.

·
Super Moderator
2,975 Posts
Phoenix are much more dusty and dirty than the serama. And the amount of feed! With several inches of snow and the severe cold there is no free ranging. The feed bill has more than doubled.
I hear you Dan, I'm at about 35 pounds of layer feed and scratch per day.

·
Serama King
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #572
RR is spending the first night brooding the eggs in her boom box box. Going by the serama behavior I have observed in the past, her last egg will be "laid" tomorrow and full time brooding will start. Is there something else that would make this bird act as though she had laid a full clutch besides internal laying?

·
Serama King
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
How old is she? I'm wondering if this is an age thing.

I had girls that became infertile at fairly young ages but they didn't quit laying.
About a year old; seemingly in perfect health. She is now brooding full time. If this sort of thing happened before I did not know it as they were outside.

Whatever the case, it is apparent that the hen thought she was laying. Her behavior has been exactly that of a hen that laid a clutch and then became broody-very odd.

·
Serama King
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #580

According to genetic studies a pairing of blue and splash cochin sould yield 50/50 blue and splash. Of the first 14 chicks to hatch. all are splash. As I said in the past those genetic studies deal in over-alls and not the individual results. My cochins are a drastic case of individual results.

(Note the white wing feather-blues do not have white flights.)

561 - 580 of 584 Posts