PET SERAMA

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by danathome, Sep 14, 2020.

1. danathome

danathome Active Member

Yes, there is. My health keeps me homebound so the only clubs I am in are online ones. With the coronavirus now hitting our community hard, the backyard is as far as I go.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

You know, if you ever decided you wanted any of your birds in a show you can have a surrogate show them for you. I've seen that happen a few times.

3. danathome

danathome Active Member

We got our last 6 babies from Ideal Poultry in Tx.
    No chance, then, of close genetics between our birds. I look forward to buy/trading.
    D’Uccle feet; So, we noted that Charlie has green feet! I didn’t see it til we had him out in the sunshine the other day! I have to get some pics of this... but I’m thinking, as much as we adore our Charlie, he won’t be ideal to breed. If we CAN keep him. Charlie would make 3 roos for 5 pullets. We are thinking 2 is more than enough- any thoughts from more experienced owners welcome on this too!A lot depends on flock dynamics and breed. With my serama and phoenix the roosters get along fairly well and do not over-breed. Still, I limit the number of roosters in order to know parentage and what can be expected with the next generation. They will have a sizeable run and coop, with free range time almost every day. So far has been every single day, but stuff happens. Coop + building combo will hopefully start in next week or two, but, I just wanted to know how others banty Roos have gotten along living together. (Or not)

Edit: I’m not saying I’ll never have a Charlie baby in our own flock, simply that I don’t think I want to pass the imperfect genetics on anywhere else. Carrying on now....
    With every sale I make it plain that I do not raise show birds and the genetics of the birds being sold may or may not produce show quality. I sell mostly young chicks between 2 and 4 weeks of age. Every buyer is shown the breeding pens which always clinches the sale. My birds are beautiful and as unique as possible within the boundaries of that breeds' traits.

d1.jpg d2.jpg
    Poor pictures-I'll try again later

4. danathome

danathome Active Member

gold.jpg

Sorry, he isn't white, but still...

5. robin416

Yeah, still. One of the things I found so stunning about my silver spangled Hamburg boys were their long tail feathers. Your guy puts the Hamburg boys to shame.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  6. danathome

danathome Active Member

This Serama rooster is unique in his willingness to more than tolerate his chicks.

a1aa.jpg

7. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

How sweet! Love it. What a stellar roo.

8. danathome

danathome Active Member

Thank you. There have been times he has raised chicks without the hen. He is very unusual in this. I've had numerous roos that were good with chicks; but never to this extent!

Overmountain1 likes this.
  9. robin416

He sounds like the Guinea dad I have this year. I've never had one refuse to leave his mate and keets and actually hunker down for them to warm up. I've had Dads stay with mom the first few days after they hatch but never a week plus or actually warm babies up.

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.
  10. danathome

danathome Active Member

Unusual, for sure.

11. robin416

That means we're special. :D

12. danathome

danathome Active Member

sizzle.jpg
    A really horrid picture of Marie but it does show what I wanted. Marie is a product of a smooth feathered hen split to silkied and a frizzle rooster split to silkied. Marie, of course, is a silkied serama, but if you look at her neck you'll see that she has some frizzle effect. I paired her back to her frizzle father and now have two of her chicks in a tub in the kitchen. I'm hoping they will be true "sizzle" serama; silkied and frizzle! p10.jpg
    Two of the Wigglebottom clan; Sassy on the left and Heidi on the right. Sassy had puppies yesterday but sadly only one survived-the other two were stillborn. A very sad day yesterday.
    p6.jpg
    Lilli and pups are doing great. We gave one of hers to Sassy to raise.

13. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Dan, forgive me for my lack of knowledge on your "Sizzle" breeding. Is this something other folks are working on too? It is very interesting.

14. danathome

danathome Active Member

Thank you. Our dogs are very much part of the family.

Yes, as I have seen images of sizzle serama on Google, but can find no information on what it takes to produce them.

15. robin416

So, they're calling them Sizzles and not Frizzles?

PJ can address this better than I can. It sounds like a genetic anomaly that popped up in Frizzle breeding. But the question then is, can a Sizzle and Frizzle be a breeding pair? Or does this go back to needing a smooth feathered parent?

I hate your little girl lost her puppies. It's hard when they never got a chance to be a puppy.

16. danathome

danathome Active Member

So, they're calling them Sizzles and not Frizzles? A frizzle has normal feathers that curl-a dominant trait. Some would say I use the term, "sizzle" improperly as it's a breed in progress starting with a cochin/silkie cross that has the silkied and frizzle feathering. I use "sizzle" because it is easier than saying or typing frizzle-silkied serama, that has the same feathered trait as the cochin/silkie birds.

PJ can address this better than I can. It sounds like a genetic anomaly that popped up in Frizzle breeding. But the question then is, can a Sizzle and Frizzle be a breeding pair? Or does this go back to needing a smooth feathered parent? I know that frizzle/frizzle produces frazzle-not good. I am sure that sizzle/frizzle would have the same complications-so, yes, a smooth feathered bird needs to be used or a frizzle with a silkied bird. What will happen if the silkied bird has "some" frizzle is what I am doing and wondering about; in a couple weeks I will know as then those two chicks in the kitchen will be feathered well enough to determine if they will be "Sizzle-my version of it"

I hate your little girl lost her puppies. It's hard when they never got a chance to be a puppy.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, and with each dead puppy, Sassy became more despondent. For a while we worried we might lose her. Thankfully, the third puppy was healthy.

17. robin416

I've heard the term sizzle so I don't know that you're using it wrong. It's been nine years so I can't even tell you if it was in terms like you're using it. But it fits, so keep using it. It's a good descriptor.

Now I understand why you gave her an extra to raise.

18. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Yes, and with each dead puppy, Sassy became more despondent. For a while we worried we might lose her. Thankfully, the third puppy was healthy.[/QUOTE]
    Regarding Frizzle vs. Frazzle: If you took a sheet of paper, would you be able to sketch a few generations back? I bet you could sort it out and have some accurate trait predictors.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  19. danathome

danathome Active Member

Regarding Frizzle vs. Frazzle: If you took a sheet of paper, would you be able to sketch a few generations back? I bet you could sort it out and have some accurate trait predictors.[/QUOTE]
    Punnet Squares come in handy to predict what may result in serama pairings, but not sizzle, as I don't know if it's dominant, incomplete dominant, recessive, or the results of modifying genes. A couple years ago I tried to research the topic and found nothing. Now, I've decided it's more fun to figure out on my own. Some of the literature is not always accurate anyway. Years ago, when I researched long tail genetics, it was written that the long tail genes were dominant. Not true. After years of doing crosses I now know that it is a incomplete dominant trait; longtails crosses with other breeds produce tails half way in between the two breeds.

These are the chicks that may be sizzle. The bigger one is silkied for sure. One chick is a week older than the other.

s1.jpg