PET SERAMA

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by danathome, Sep 14, 2020.

1. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

As far as record keeping goes I will have to start from scratch for the newest generations. For the others I need to complete records while I can recall the info. Thank goodness there's only 15 or so birds.

2. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

3. danathome

Strange occurrence. Last night I received an e-mail from a girl/woman asking if I had a dozen PIGEON eggs to sell. With two e-mails she explained they had incubators and want some pigeons for their yard. Obviously, she had no clue what was involved with raising squabs so I spent some time giving her the basics. I'm wondering where she got my name and e-mail. Few people know I have pigeons. I have asked but, so far, there has been no further mail from her. Odd, I always research each new breed/specie before buying. Odd too, in that I thought everyone was familiar with pigeons.

4. Poultry Judge

Maybe I'm paranoid from my old job but I don't trust a lot of unsolicited emails until/unless I know who someone is. really "pigeons for their yard?" I still think phone calls are best.

5. danathome

Such an odd thing. The exact words were, "I just want too have some for my little farm."
    I am also paranoid in lieu of what has been happening lately. I hadn't advertised pigeons and I do not give out my e address; especially in ads. As I've said before, we've had dogs stolen and killed-birds have disappeared too and it seemed this stuff happened after an ad came out with our address. I've stopped putting any kind of personal information (phone number, address, and e address) on ads because of my paranoia.
    The girl did reply that she e-mailed because she saw a post of mine on BYC. She did not say, but it is to be hoped that she has given up on the idea of incubating pigeon eggs. I rather hope she doesn't get pigeons at all; at least not until doing some research and learning about pigeons.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  6. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

That thing about "awe their cute" is rampant and not at all unusual she approached you about backyard pigeons.

If she contacts you again get her username. A lot of times archived stuff hangs out there and one is persistent enough they can dig up information.

7. Poultry Judge

Yes and it's terrifying!

8. robin416

Point, I've been taking care of the neighbor's birds while they're gone a few days. They're old enough to be laying for months now. She still has a heat lamp on them. I told her today to turn it off. Will she? Who knows.

She loves her birds, does listen when she asks but she is pretty clueless. She also got a crash course on how not to take care of birds when I had a fit at the way another person was keeping her birds.

9. Poultry Judge

Tell her to join the Chicken Forum!

10. robin416

I hadn't thought of that. I know she has internet. I don't know how much time she spends on it though since I can see when they're online. Or I could before I got the Mac.

11. Poultry Judge

12. robin416

One looks like a white rock, two look like EE's, I'm not sure what the fourth one is but I'd steal her if I could.

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.
  13. danathome

Kimmi was taking pictures this morning so I asked her to take one of the fuchien tea bonsai. I've had the tree 14 years and it was pretty good size when Kimmi bought it for me. It gas been neglected, needing a trim and repotting/new soil. 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

14. danathome

Sassy and Sadie; mother and daughter. ssss.jpg
    Sadie almost lost her life this morning by getting under my feet when I was stepping down from a step. Thankfully, I had my hand on a railing when Sadie squealed in terror.

15. Poultry Judge

Thanks for the pics Dan!

16. robin416

Love the Bonsai, Dan. GCC needs to see it.

I cringed when you mentioned the almost catastrophe with the puppy. They are so good at getting our heart rates up.

17. Poultry Judge

18. danathome

mac1.jpg mac.jpg The bonsai is far from beautiful due to neglect, but thanks anyway.

While feeding yesterday I checked the broody hens as I usually do and found this tiny yellow chick under my Yokohama hen. The chick is a serama; the first to hatch in over a month-yeah. But four others were DIS. It will be interesting to see if this yellow chick grows white feathers; should that happen the chick would have to be Snowflake's first baby. My serama have never produced white-in all the generations there has never been a white offspring. In a week the tail and flight feathers will have grown enough to tell the color. My flock has produced beige where the chicks are yellowish, but not as yellow as this one.

The hen in the picture did not hatch the chick. When her eggs DIS I brought her in to the house to share quarters with Pablo in order to break her broodiness. When I came in the door, on the way to our inside brooder, the chick peeped and the hen gave an answering cluck. Out of curiosity, I took the chick near the hen's tub; when the chick peeped again the hen clucked even louder. When I held out the chick on my palm it peeped and ran when he hen clucked.. The chick went under the hen and that was that. The brooder was turned off as it won't be needed. The little family are doing well today. mac1.jpg

This is the same hen that raised the four first ducklings for the first week. The picture shows that her beak and toe nails are in bad need of clipping (which we did right after taking the picture). This is a common problem with broody hens that are not out scratching and pecking in the dirt. Her last manicure was right after caring for the ducklings-4 weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2020
    robin416 likes this.
  19. robin416

How very sweet is that. I love when foster moms and peeps can come together.

20. Poultry Judge