PET SERAMA

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by danathome, Sep 14, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

It's the esthetic I like. Doesn't mean that it's the right one. The girl in my avatar looks like her tail is close to her head but it wasn't.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the overall aesthetic for game fowl is Station. But yours is a fuzzy Raptor I think!

3. robin416

Yeah, no. I couldn't show her. She would come unglued just sitting her on the seat of my truck. Never mind putting her in a carrier. She wasn't having any of it.

She'd never be eligible for the raptor club.

4. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

Snowflake is no show bird. The tail is curved when it should be near vertical, his wings hang at the wrong angle, his chest is not full and round, his overall carriage would need to be more vertical, and the list goes on. But for my purposes, he is perfect. I honestly don't care for the extremes show birds need for the show table.

5. danathome

p1.jpg

Poor Pablo is having eye issues and the color is off; washed out. Pablo is closer to show than Snowflake.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  6. robin416

You can see he doesn't feel good.

7. Poultry Judge

You go Dan! Since they had success with the virtual Ohio National Show this year, I keep thinking about doing a show next year, with pictures but more for fun, just for everyone to show off their birds.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  8. Poultry Judge

No, he definitely doesn't feel well.

9. danathome

Pablo is much better; back to crowing his head off. Pablo has been a house pet since he was two weeks old; he is outside with the hens on a very limited basis when the weather is good. He has had eye and sinus issues his whole life (he's just over a year old now) and the problem worsens quickly outside-allergies? We have tried numerous meds with very limited results. I've brought one small hen in to keep him company as I do not plan on anymore outside visitations.

A show on the group would be fun!

10. Poultry Judge

Glad to hear Pablo is feeling better!

11. danathome

I'm glad too. Pablo is the only bird I have that is an actual "pet".

A disappointment today. My tiniest serama hen (8 ounces) laid six eggs and went broody. Candling, last night, showed that three eggs have DIS; not a good sign for the remaining three. While I knew this would likely happen, I had hoped anyway. Her eggs are so tiny that when they do hatch, the chicks will likely be under 10 grams at hatch; something I hope to achieve soon. I guess all I can do this time is to cross my fingers, toes, and eyes for luck and hope the three hatch successfully. The hen's next efforts are likely to hatch, but I hate waiting. Should her chicks be as tiny as I think they will, I plan to keep them as breeders providing the have the necessary traits.

12. Poultry Judge

13. danathome

Thank you. Luck is what is needed. I sold the rooster and I've put another short legged cockerel of my line with the majority of serama hens. If a person reads about the lethal factor it will state that 25% of eggs will be affected and DIS. In actual practice the lethal factor works differently with different birds. With the rooster I just sold, 75 to 80% of the eggs DIS. I'm hoping the young cockerel will produce better; a loss of 25% is acceptable. As for the roo sold, the buyer was told to pair him only with long/normal legged hens.

14. Poultry Judge

Those numbers can become very acceptable. People don't understand the loss due to genetics.

15. danathome

I am hopeful. Last weekend I noticed that the two young cockerels were mating with the hens frequently. While the roo with the genetic lethal factor was still with the hen too, I collected six fresh eggs to set under my old Yokohama hen. Today's candling showed five eggs alive and developing and only one DIS. So, I am hopeful that some chicks will hatch.

The lethal factor is a pain. Serama eggs are not the easiest to work with, even in the best of situations.

PJ- At what age do peacocks start sounding off? So far the trio has been very quiet. Kimmi was all excited about hearing the booming call of the peacock a week ago. Yesterday, when we were working on the greenhouse, she heard it again; not the peacock at all, just Cher sounding off with her loud, heh-heh-heh-heh. Kimmi agrees with me-Cher does not sound at all like a quack-quack.

16. Poultry Judge

Peafowl that are raised together are going to behave similarly, unless or until they see other Peafowl behavior. About 6-8 months is average, their noise is also based on their pecking order. Quiet means peaceful most of the time. There are exceptions though, Baby 1, at two months old could be heard a thousand feet away! The noisiest single bird I have ever had. Now he's pretty quiet but can occasionally let loose. He is also displaying a lot more. The noisiest group of birds I have ever had is hands down the Guineas!

17. danathome

Sooooo.... he could start sounding off at any time. He-I really need to name them. It is surprising that Kimmi hasn't done so. She names everything!

18. Poultry Judge

Peafowl behavior is most analogous to Turkey behavior. If I live to be a hundred, I'll never totally understand those silly birds!

19. Poultry Judge

Sometimes I feel like Jane Goodall or something, attempting to observe/understand the crazy stuff Turkeys do!

20. danathome

Oh bother. More of the same but different-Is that about right?