Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 882 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this group today and still looking around the different threads and forums. While I have different breeds and species, it's serama that interest me the most. Are there threads for serama bantams? I do not show the birds I raise, so mine are pets.
Bird Chicken Phasianidae Beak Liver
Bird Chicken Beak Phasianidae Comb
Bird Phasianidae Comb Beak Chicken

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,894 Posts
That first pic is beyond sweet.

I don't remember there ever being just a breed thread of any kind for any of the birds. Most get started like this post.

Are you also going to breed frizzles?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That first pic is beyond sweet. Thanks. She's quite the pet.

I don't remember there ever being just a breed thread of any kind for any of the birds. Most get started like this post.OK.

Are you also going to breed frizzles? I have my flock set up genetically to produce frizzle, silkied, and smooth serama chicks.

·
Administrator
21,894 Posts
I didn't know there was a silkied Serama.

Is that the last pic? I couldn't decide if it just hadn't finished getting all of its big bird feathers or not.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
I love Seramas!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Seramas are so cool! I love their upright carriage, and perky tails! They reminded me of my Chip til he finished growing too- they're so adorable! Love them. Very pretty birds you have.

Someday.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
And Welcome to the Forum, folks here love to share pics and talk chickens!

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't know there was a silkied Serama.

Is that the last pic? I couldn't decide if it just hadn't finished getting all of its big bird feathers or not.
Yes. The last picture is a two month old silkied serama cockerel.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seramas are so cool! I love their upright carriage, and perky tails! They reminded me of my Chip til he finished growing too- they're so adorable! Love them. Very pretty birds you have.

Someday.
I am very open to egg swaps. Serama are quite unique and come in many colors and feather types.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
There are some very interesting Serama clubs and organizations worldwide.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Definitely! We will have to sort that out when they're all at that point, and see where each of our babies came from etc too.
I'm still waiting on Jackie to lay, and she's 23 weeks now. (She's our crossbreed D'Uccle.) Meh, we shall see!! She will get with the program now, or later.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely! We will have to sort that out when they're all at that point, and see where each of our babies came from etc too.
I'm still waiting on Jackie to lay, and she's 23 weeks now. (She's our crossbreed D'Uccle.) Meh, we shall see!! She will get with the program now, or later.
My eggs came from Natalie Lacy in WV as did my Call ducks and a few of my newest serama additions. This little guy is from her and will soon become my serama flock leader.
Bird Green Phasianidae Plant Comb
Periodically I look for new genetics to keep the flock strong and healthy.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
We got our last 6 babies from Ideal Poultry in Tx.

D'Uccle feet; So, we noted that Charlie has green feet! I didn't see it til we had him out in the sunshine the other day! I have to get some pics of this... but I'm thinking, as much as we adore our Charlie, he won't be ideal to breed. If we CAN keep him. Charlie would make 3 roos for 5 pullets. We are thinking 2 is more than enough- any thoughts from more experienced owners welcome on this too! They will have a sizeable run and coop, with free range time almost every day. So far has been every single day, but stuff happens. Coop + building combo will hopefully start in next week or two, but, I just wanted to know how others banty Roos have gotten along living together. (Or not)

Edit: I'm not saying I'll never have a Charlie baby in our own flock, simply that I don't think I want to pass the imperfect genetics on anywhere else. Carrying on now....

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
If you have enough room and your hens aren't being hassled. Do you have an ABA handbook?, you can start looking things up regarding whether you wish to breed or not.

·
Administrator
21,894 Posts
What PJ said. With careful breeding, birds can be used in a breeding situation when they have desirable traits.

On living as one happy group, it's the group dynamics that says it can work or not. I could turn several pairs out during the day and have the boys ignore each other. I had a pen of bachelors. But that doesn't always work that way.

Free ranging was just fine with my gang when their girls were with them. That did not translate to them living together in one pen in harmony.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While I try to follow show standards in breeding, I am more interested in what makes a good pet as most of my babies are sold as pets or to the backyard hobbyist. This is one of my young Phoenix. When this picture was taken he was just 7 months old.

Bird Comb Chicken Phasianidae Beak

A beautiful snow-white. Absolutely stunning to see him walking over the green lawn. The little stinker just molted and now he's a faded cream yellow/buff. From stunning to blah in a matter of a few weeks!

1 - 20 of 882 Posts