Pest dog

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by rcorliss, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Shoot it

42.9%
  2. Call the cops

35.7%
  3. Scare it away

7.1%
  4. Talk to the neighbor again

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. apdeb

apdeb New Member

Bee what kind of "wireless" dog containment do you have?

2. Bee

Bee Active Member

It's Petsafe brand and is the best, IMO...I tried the cheaper brand and it didn't deliver. It's cheaper if bought on Amazon, it seems, though I bought mine directly online from Petco when I bought it. I bought an additional collar there also some years ago.

You can sometimes pick up this fence in the classifieds from people who bought it and decided they didn't like their dogs getting shocked or that didn't put in the necessary training and thought it didn't work. I've seen folks selling them~brand new~for $100.

My two dogs have been safely contained by it for all these years and we lived right by the road for many of those years. The batteries aren't too expensive and they last a couple months each, come in packs of two and I can get them for $7 here locally.

http://www.petco.com/product/6533/P...Pet-Containment-System.aspx?CoreCat=LookAhead

3. havasu

havasu Active Member

Don't they also offer a rechargeable type of battery in some units?

4. Shelly W

Shelly W New Member

I have a neighbor who knowingly has allowed their dog to kill 13 of my chickens. THIRTEEN. My chickens free range for the MANY benefits and there are many homes between our home/land & the dogs home. Here's the thing- when we realized for sure it was their dog; and actually had to chase said dog for a mile and pull my hen from his mouth (chicken was ok btw, just injured), but my husband went to let them know AGAIN that we knew it was their dog & ask them nicely to keep it from the yard; he was cursed out. And he asked me to try since the woman was home alone & we thought maybe if I was real nice- she/her husband & father in law who were now both home, might be more receptive to me since we'd had our children play together. I took my oldest daughter with me. (She was 15; but 5'10 & a tough young lady)...If she wasn't there, who knows what would've happened!? I was so nice- and the woman actually threatened my life, lol. She said "no one will ever find your body" & when her husband & F-I-L were yelling at me, she came up behind me to attack me until my daughter stepped in. I was so confused & upset by the encounter I called the sheriff...who came out and spoke with both of us. Her warned me not to try with her anymore b/c they were extremely rude to him. He told me I have every right; and I SHOULD kill the dog if I ever saw it again. This has proven harder than I thought. Since that encounter- they did get an electric underground fence w/collar. But it wasn't long until I caught the dog on camera taking 2 more chickens. Now it's sporadic and I've lost an additional 2. They refuse to do anything. The last time they were in my yard; I caught them and gave them to the dog warden (it is actually 2 dogs), but refused to file charges. Next time; it's either filling charges or smtg more extreme. Either way, it'll be the LAST time they come into my yard!! Period. Sorry this was very wordy! But neighbor's aren't always so neighborly! I have a Maltese who is extremely disinterested in chickens etc; but if he wasn't- I'd feel AWFUL if he ever hurt someone's animals and I would NOT allow it!!! He stays in the yard anyway- but he's wandered a couple times to our neighbors with an in heat Maltese...but he's a good boy. I love, LOVE dogs...ALL dogs. But I love my chickens too & it's terrible that I've lost so many; usually my favorites, to a dog. I won't let it happen anymore. My chickens don't deserve to be killed b/c it'll break my heart. I've got to do what I need for them...and as the authorities have told me- take them out! I have every right and they've had more than enough warning!!!

5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Yes, you do have the legal right to protect your livestock. Neighbors like those won't change, even if they lose the dogs they'll just get more and things will go right back to where they are now.

You could build a safe pen for your birds where they can be out but safely behind fences. You could run hot wire around, zapped once is usually enough for any dog.

But I have to mention this, your dog. Whether he's a good boy or not he should not be leaving your property to go find a female in heat. That is creating basically the same complications the others are causing you.

6. JediPat

JediPat Moderator Staff Member

This is a touchy subject for me...and from a necro thread, but I will just say this. If you are a good owner of any animal you build for them to be protected and you train for them to stay safe.

7. Shelly W

Shelly W New Member

Ok, just would like to say that when you read my comment, I said my dog "HAD" gotten out to my other neighbors, in heat female Maltese. This is unacceptable for so many reasons I wouldn't know where to start; but one of them is NOT that my dog would bite anyone or anything or DARE (or honestly care to) attack any animals. I said he HAD gotten out, but I've entirely remedied that situation. And we're in an area where predators, especially dogs/coyote are everywhere. We're trying to be as respectful of our next door neighbors in purchasing a fence for the entire property. (Let alone the cost; but it's worth it & we can do it.) We are also planning on getting the right LGD for this situation...I'm researching which dogs do best on almost 4 acres (if it'll be comfortable w/that little of room), if that dog would do well in our climate, and just basically the right breed for a family with growing animal's & with growing children! My youngest is 14 months. We haven't lost any more chickens (thank The Lord), even though I've chased the dogs off again. I just can't bring myself to do as my sheriff said- but I know he meant well. Perimeter fencing and LGD are coming quite shortly...we just are trying to be diplomatic to our neighbors who aren't happy about the fence. It will be simple & effective & barely visible other than the poles IMO. But they have been here a long time, & are used to letting their ducks swim in our pond. I hate to upset them, but for our animal's sake- including the coming Guardian dog- a fence is a must. I'm not a negligent animal owner... I am just not the only person making decisions here. It's taken this long to convince my husband/neighbors of the fence. I never wanted to "fully" free range my chickens, but my husband comes from a family unlike mine where he doesn't believe in anything but letting our chickens roam. (The certainly do love it! But not when tragedy strikes...again, it's been a long time, I'm grateful, but I'll feel much better with a fence.) I also wish it wasn't so expensive to put up even a simple fence!! I've been selling my things so my husband can't argue. As for shooting a dog; I had promised one way or another, if the dogs came back, they wouldn't leave. But saying and doing are two VERY different things. It's NOT their fault! I've been blessed to see them come in the yard (and to have the ability to watch my chickens as much as possible throughout the day).

8. robin416

It's unfortunate that your hubs won't allow for a protected outside pen. It's what we always recommend when predator attacks become a problem. It's about the only way to convince them to go away if the easy meals are not so easy to get to.

I shot one once. It tore me up. But I was protecting my two dogs. Nothing I did caused it to turn and move away. I had one option.

9. Shelly W

Shelly W New Member

I am truly sorry you had to go though that, but protecting your own animals on your own property is what you do! It's heartbreaking that that had to happen, but I'm so glad your dog is ok! I have a call in for a perimeter fence estimate and "fingers crossed" hopefully it won't be a huge amount! I'm also hoping this doesn't take forever. The neighbors with the dogs are obviously unstable! (Trying to attack me, threatening my life, cussing me out- all in front of my daughter & her young children and ALL because I went and nicely asked them to stop their dogs from taking our chickens the very day we pulled a chicken out of one of their dogs mouth. Right outside of their home, while they were outside, as they watched. Not a word, not an apology, nothing. Then when we had to call animal control b/c they had been in our yard again quite often and we were sick of running them off and then having to sit with our flock that day, we finally took them and put them in our shed, called animal control and let them pick them up. We were told that they get CONSTANT complaints about these very dogs, that they wreak havoc on ppls livestock, destroy gardens & property etc. He basically begged us to press charges. I wouldn't. That would give them the ability to keep the dogs, give a legal citation to the owner's & possibly have the dogs destroyed. And what did we get for NOT pressing charges?? The woman going past our home for days laying on her car horn and giving the middle finger to anyone who was outside, mostly myself AND my 3 children! They're nutty!) So, sadly I was incorrect to think I could be "nice enough" to change the neighbor's behavior. And, I'm not sure if I'm more excited to put the fence up to make sure dogs and predators can't get in, or to know it's an extra protection from those neighbors!!! You did the right thing, I'm sure if it came down to my animal's or theirs; I'd choose mine! But thankfully (but also sadly) I've not been around when they killed my chickens, and they will leave when yelled at.

10. robin416

I consider myself so lucky, the folks who live around/near me are what everyone hopes for. The incident where I shot the dog happened years ago in another state. I don't ever want to be put in that spot again.

Even if all you fenced was where your birds hang out would go a long way to protecting them and would be cheaper. Although, there is the concern for your dog's safety if he happens to be out when those others show up.

You're got between a rock and a hard place in this situation. Filing charges might be the only option.

Shelly W likes this.
  11. Shelly W

Shelly W New Member

That is fantastic that you have great neighbors and that all of that is in the past! I'm grateful for many of our neighbors, with that one exception! Yes, fencing in an area for our chickens would be great; but #1, my husband would never allow it #2, we also have goats, 2 of which are pregnant and will need protection! I am not looking forward to the process of getting the fence...finding the best price, kind, etc. Making sure our direct neighbors approve of the style fence we've chosen, & the survey of our property that will be needed which may, again, cause a rift with neighbors.. So I'll have to tread lightly yet quickly. (Goats biggest predator is a dog, and these dogs could EASILY kill a baby goat) Well, to be honest, I'm going to be grateful that those are what I'm complaining about! I'm so grateful to have chickens and goats as having a "farm" was always a dream and it's coming true bit by bit! And I'm grateful to be in an area I'm in, another dream- finally OUT of the city! I have much to be grateful for, God has blessed us and I should focus there! I'm so happy for you and that that terrible situation is behind you and wish you well! I love your picture, silkies are my absolute favorite chicken! (Of course I only have one hen & a roo left, as those were the first to fall victim, 4 sweet Silkies )

12. robin416

Do you have any Amish or Mennonites living near you? When I had to have some fence run when I lived in TN some Mennonite teenagers put the fence in for a very reasonable price. The biggest expense was in the materials.

About the only thing that's going to work for you is stock fence. If you live in the country then I don't see how the neighbors can kick about the kind of fence you put in. It also helps them get a jump start on their own fencing should they choose to put any in.

13. Shelly W

Shelly W New Member

I do have Amish and Mennonite in my area! I am not sure how to contact someone willing to do it; but thank you! That's something I will definitely look into! And, yes, I'm doing stock fencing. But, we bought our home with about 1.7 acres & the lot next door which takes us to a bit over 3.6 acres. Unfortunately, b/c the vacant lot sat there for some time, they've been using part of it. Also; the lines for our yard are just kind've bizarre in the area where it goes along theirs. Between that, them liking it all open, & the fact that their ducks use our pond, I'm just dreading that part! They are a kind couple, and they've been here longer than us, so I would hate to upset them. But I really don't have a choice. It's for their safety also! We're planning on an LGD, and this will prevent it from going into their yard! Tying the dog out wouldn't helpful for predator control and it would also be cruel. Thank you very much for the advice and I'll talk to my husband and look into it!

14. robin416

There was a mennonite that sold and installed metal roofing. I asked him about the fence and he gave my information to the young kids. If you stop in one of the mennonite or amish stores you can ask there.

If you do the fence maybe talk to the neighbors with the ducks. Bet someone can come up with a solution. Like a gate on their side to let the ducks in and out.

15. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I was going to say the same thing, go into one of their stores and ask an employee. They are always willing to do what they can, we have a large population of Amish and Mennonite both just up the road (as the crow flies haha).