Perseid Meteor Shower and Other Astrological Events

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by chickenqueen, Aug 12, 2017.

1. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

The Perseid(sp?) Meteor shower is tonight.Anybody going to watch it?I've got a bottle of cherry wine in the fridge and going to set up a viewing area.The best time is 10 pm-2 am EST.I hope the clouds are gone by tonight and the mosquitoes stay away.I may even get the telescope out that Dale wanted and ignores.Next week it's the total solar eclipse.We can see like 95% here.Then, Sept.23(?),several planets and sun align with 2 constellations,supposedly making the outline of a pregnant "queen" or something like that.I'm not good at picking out constellations but I'm going to study this one because I want to see it.It sounds really fascinating.Might as well enjoy the nectar of the gods and the wonders of the heavens while we still can......:D

2. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

I'll be watching! What causes a meteor shower?

3. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

It's the leftover of something. The tail basically.

I won't be watching, too many clouds and even if we didn't have those the moon would be too bright to see anything.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

chickenqueen and seminolewind like this.
  5. robin416

Neat site. I just saved it to my favorites.

6. chickenqueen

Me,too.I saw some meteors last night but my trees were in the way for most of them.The mosquitoes were out in full force and we didn't want to build a fire in case it bothered the meteor watching.Oh well,I tried some Arbor Mist Cherry Wine and it was really good.I may have a new favorite.Too bad the solar eclipse happens in the afternoon....

7. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Solar eclipse: It'll be interesting to see if the chickens start making a move towards the coop for the "night."

8. james2000

james2000 New Member

9. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

I had clouds. Sheesh.

10. chickenqueen

Hopefully Aug 21 will be cloudless for all.I'm curious as to what the animals will do also or if their behavior changes.We can see like 95% here and it lasts a couple of minutes but will the animals think of it as just a really cloudy day.

11. robin416

Yep. I'm wondering what the dogs and cats will do too. Is there an atmospheric change that they can pick up on like rain coming?

12. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

I bet they can detect something is up, be interesting to see. They are pretty sensitive little things..