Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
He of my poor girls got attacked (free range has to be in range) probably by a fox or young coyote. Whoever it was grabbed her behind the wings, couldn't pick her up....she squawked of course and we all came running...but managed to peel three tin can lid sized holes in her back! Two on one side. And I do mean peeled. Skin is gone. Ugh. Anyway, the good news is that's it's now the third day and she's still eating, drinking, pooping and even standing, well, for a few minutes anyway. I used furazin with 4xs, wrapped her whole body in gauze and vet wrap. The children's Tylenol helps with the pain. Keep your fingers crossed and if anyone has any suggestions to help this good girl heal....please let me know!

Hello everyone. I have an Australorp hen who is the sweetest chicken in the world. I went away for a couple of days and my dog got out of his pen. when I got home I found my poor baby lying on the ground. I found an old clothes basket and put a comforter in it. I picked her up gently, put her in the basket, and took her in the house. the next morning she hadn't moved an inch. I took her outside in the sun and she jumped out of the basket on her own power. she is missing alot of her feathers and has a big hole in her back. If anyone has any tips to keep her alive, Please help.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Poor sweet little girl. =( I'm so glad you were home to save her. Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. Maybe just beef up her diet because her body is going to need the extra nutrients for healing right now.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Keeps the tissues moist and allows the new skin cells to move across the tissue bed and allow healing. You can use adaptic dressing bandages with the honey on the lesions. Have to change the dressing daily but honey works wonders. I'm in NJ so ants aren't an issue as its winter and isn't she inside in a hospital cage?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh she's inside, in a hospital Corona box, on a chair in the den. She hangs out with us and watches tv. I have used honey before, my Arab gelding pulled away and skidded across a tarred road. He left pieces of Merlin on the road. The fist sized hole in his shoulder showed muscle, much like the poor hen. It's been over ten years since he was so stupid but there is no scar, the shoulder moves fine ...you are right that honey works wonders! I did not use honey this time. I used furazin ointment. Stays moist, antibacterial, promotes healing. She's getting stronger every day. When she comes out of the box on her own, we'll look under the bandages....honey will be good to use, thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
She looks very much like your avatar!
That's my RIR Crabbie Abbie. :) She'll be 3 this May already. Keeps a "very" close eye on me when I clean her house. :p One of the first to greet you too. She's a sweetie. We won't tell her that though. She likes to keep up that extra tough girl personna. ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
7chicks said:
That's my RIR Crabbie Abbie. :) She'll be 3 this May already. Keeps a "very" close eye on me when I clean her house. :p One of the first to greet you too. She's a sweetie. We won't tell her that though. She likes to keep up that extra tough girl personna. ;)
My girl, no name....got any suggestions? Is purring and chirping. No egg this morning but she's started grooming herself. She's eating well and stands up by herself for a few seconds anyway. I hope she gets to be like your Crabbie Abbie.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chickens are so tough! As long as they keep eating! Well, she's doing very well, in fact she's getting restless. She still has holes but they are actually healing! I took off the wrap bandage so she can walk more easily. She actually flew(!) up onto the table tonight. Amazing creatures!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the house chicken is doing so very well. I don't dare try her outside yet because I don't want the other chickens to reopen her...but man o man, I am sooo impressed by her healing! Thanks again EV, your advice was, as usual, spot on! These are pics, two days ago, of under her wings where there was NO skin. Isn't that awesome to see? And she loves roosting in the rafters at night. She's a happy girl now.

Attachments

·
977 Posts
So glad to hear she is better! Awesome job taking care of her! Guess there is a vet in all of us, when the time is needed!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would love to take credit for her recovery, but all I did was wrap and watch! This little hen got attacked, got away, climbed back into the coop and that's where I found her. It was all her! She kept eating, which as we all know, a bird that won't eat is a dead bird, and she kept quiet and clean until, tah dah! It's been only a few weeks! Amazing what Nature can do with just a little support. Simply amazing!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts