Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My red sex link chickens have been laying for about a month now. Over the last couple days we have been getting one of the six eggs cracked. This morning my wife seen the chickens pecking at a egg, Is there a reason they would do this? If there is a way to fix it How ? Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Occasionally over the years we've had hens do that. Unfortunately we haven't found a way to stop it except removal. Generally we've noticed old hens picking up the bad habit.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Chickens are generally not picky eaters.

Roll out nest boxes or inserts will make it so they can't get to the eggs. frequent collection will help but it can become a bad habit

·
Registered
743 Posts
My rooster cracked open an egg the other day. I think it was more of an accident then the fact that he wanted to do it, but when the hens saw it they all went running to eat it. However if I boil eggs I will give them the left over shells and what is left in the egg to the chickens but I do it way out in the middle of the yard this way they wont associate the broken egg shells with their eggs. It also helps to make their own egg shells harder and thicker. Oyster shell helps and will keep them from doing it normally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts