Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just need to know -in your experience- how long on average does it take for a 6 mo old hen to be accepted into the flock?

New pullet 6 months old introduced to existing flock of 3 (1 is 5 years, other two are 1.5 years). Separated for almost 3 weeks via a viewable fencing at first. It has been now 2 months (new girl is now 8 months old and started laying) and I have two of the three existing hens excessively chasing her often and for a long distance with lowered heads when they see her. At night in the roost (there’s only 1 bar to roost on) the two peck her and grab her comb and pull up and down when she moves on the roost at night. I have videos of this behavior.

The third existing girl is the top girl and she does her normal “I’m the boss” pecking and staring and even rushing at her but it’s not excessive so I’m not worried about her. It’s the other two.

The only things I did was put a peeper on the worse bully then squirt (water bottle sprayer) any of the two in the roost when they are fixated on the new girl ready to lunge at her. I resorted to this after seeing night after night of relentless pecking and pulling anytime the new girl moves even the slightest. It’s disturbing to watch. I only do this as they are settling in for the night and leave once they sit down in their places. I just started doing this for about a week now. It seems to stop the behavior at bedtime but probably need to reinforce from time to time.

I have to say-peepers work for the most part-she has learned how to grab the new girls comb and feathers though but she misses a lot! So it may keep the new girl safer but the behavior is still there.

I’m hoping the new girl (bielefelder) will get so big and fat that the other two bullies (Orpington and red sexlink) will leave her alone but it’s prob more about attitude not size? hehe

Thanks for any replies!! :)

·
Administrator
24,181 Posts
Do you have enough room to pull the other two out and put them somewhere they can't see or here the boss lady and the newbie? That might be the best way to stop it.

I recently learned that red stars can be nasty to other birds. The one I had was a sweetheart. What I'm saying, I think, is that you might not get the mean out of the red star.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am still concerned over my little EE, She is 27 weeks and not laying. Her sister lays every day a pink egg. All my other chickens treat her like an out cast. I had the same problem a couple of years ago with an Australorp who did not lay until 32 weeks. The others treated her like that until she laid. Once she stated laying they treated her fine. She was still at the bottom of the pecking order but they were not so mean to her. I am hoping that when this little girl lays they will accept her again. This treatment did not happen to the little EE until the day her sister laid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.