Chicken Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MommaHen72
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me as much as you can about pasty butt? My 9 chicks are two and a half weeks old and one of them has had pasty butt pretty much since they hatched. I've read some online but I need more help and I want to make sure I'm handling it the best I possibly can and I need to know how long it will
last. The chicks are currently in a playpen in my house. I have isolated the ill chick into a separate tote, and am feeding her medicated chick feed with a little corn meal in it and her water has molasses in it. She's still having a hard time pooping and she peeps almost nonstop and hardly ever sleeps. Can anyone tell me what else to do? Please?

·
1,466 Posts
Can someone please tell me as much as you can about pasty butt? My 9 chicks are two and a half weeks old and one of them has had pasty butt pretty much since they hatched. I've read some online but I need more help and I want to make sure I'm handling it the best I possibly can and I need to know how long it will
last. The chicks are currently in a playpen in my house. I have isolated the ill chick into a separate tote, and am feeding her medicated chick feed with a little corn meal in it and her water has molasses in it. She's still having a hard time pooping and she peeps almost nonstop and hardly ever sleeps. Can anyone tell me what else to do? Please?
i would try adding some extra grit to her feed
i had a batch of chicks that were hatched in a bator that got ajusted too hot. most of them died but 9 survived so i took em home
1 was dead the next day but the other 8 are still live & kicking
the problem i had was pasty butts.
the extra grit helped so i would say give it a shot

now the sick chick should not be 100% alone
even if you added a couple small stuffed toys it would be better
i once had a young pullet with an eye problem
i removed her from the flock & she spent 3 weeks in my kitchen
the trouble was she would not shut up
once i knew what ailed her i brought a 2nd chick in so she would have a buddy. no more round the clock peeping.

·
MommaHen72
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
piglett said:
i would try adding some extra grit to her feed
i had a batch of chicks that were hatched in a bator that got ajusted too hot. most of them died but 9 survived so i took em home
1 was dead the next day but the other 8 are still live & kicking
the problem i had was pasty butts.
the extra grit helped so i would say give it a shot

now the sick chick should not be 100% alone
even if you added a couple small stuffed toys it would be better
i once had a young pullet with an eye problem
i removed her from the flock & she spent 3 weeks in my kitchen
the trouble was she would not shut up
once i knew what ailed her i brought a 2nd chick in so she would have a buddy. no more round the clock peeping.
Thank u so much piglett! I will try the grit and some toys. Stay tuned.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
They know is dangerous to be alone. Kittens, puppies are the same way. Same reason it's so hard to get a new puppy alone in the kitchen to sleep at night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts