Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 week old rooster (supposed to be a hen) and we are already so attached to him. He has not started crowing. We live in a neighborhood. He is this best little guy ever. My daughter found someone who has other chickens and animals and was ecstatic at the idea of taking him, wanting me to send lots of pictures, etc. The thing is…. I can’t stand to see him go! There is no way to keep him in a neighborhood, is there? I know the answer already. I know he will have a loving home.
Gesture Finger Wrinkle Safety glove Nail

· Registered
159 Posts
If your neighborhood ordinances forbid roosters, then yes, he has to go, unfortunately. If they don't, then no, probably not, but you might make your neighbors angry. A place out in the country is probably the best he can hope for! That's actually how we acquired our rooster. A lady in town needed to get rid of a rooster but didn't want to give him to someone who would eat him...and we had a rooster-less flock at the time, so we kind of ended up with him. He now has his own flock of 20 hens and does rooster things all day on our little hobby farm.

· Registered
54 Posts
If your neighborhood ordinances forbid roosters, then yes, he has to go, unfortunately. If they don't, then no, probably not, but you might make your neighbors angry. A place out in the country is probably the best he can hope for! That's actually how we acquired our rooster. A lady in town needed to get rid of a rooster but didn't want to give him to someone who would eat him...and we had a rooster-less flock at the time, so we kind of ended up with him. He now has his own flock of 20 hens and does rooster things all day on our little hobby farm.
He is so gorgeous though!😒

· Registered
21 Posts
beautiful rooster: you may have to talk to him in the morning and then in the afternoon twice a day...when rooster find something he can fix...he is willing to help...and so you keep talking to him...I once had a rooster that encourage me to wake up early in the morning and go bed early in the evening that help me cope with that thing, insomnia...If you let go him you will be feeling guilty...my ROOSTER; we made a deal...and so he was aloud to sing in the morning and then in the evening...thus, because I had some time to spend talking to him twice a day...hence... I had discover that when I cover his pen In the day time...and made him a private room no sun light...he stop the singing; he just did not sing or said a word about it; and then at night I let him out in the yard and he had the chance to go around peacefully...and he was happy as long as he did not saw the sunlight...I JUST do not know anything beyond of why some animal are;

· Registered
460 Posts
I have a 16 week old rooster (supposed to be a hen) and we are already so attached to him. He has not started crowing. We live in a neighborhood. He is this best little guy ever. My daughter found someone who has other chickens and animals and was ecstatic at the idea of taking him, wanting me to send lots of pictures, etc. The thing is…. I can’t stand to see him go! There is no way to keep him in a neighborhood, is there? I know the answer already. I know he will have a loving home. View attachment 45644
I doubt they have any special chicken police. If your neighbors are fine with him and don't complain, I would keep him until I was forced to get rid of him. That day may never come.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts