Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was outside spraying vines. Anyone living in the deep south knows what I'm talking about. Grape vines, thorned vines. Vines so tough you can put a chain on them and pull them out of trees without them breaking.

Anyway, I walked over to a sapling to check for those danged vines when I spotted something. There's a rub on the tree and the tree is leaning. This tree is about 20, 25 feet off the house.

It's May. Deer shouldn't be doing rubs. What else is out there than can do something like that?

The tree is so damaged I'll end up taking it out.

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
I was outside spraying vines. Anyone living in the deep south knows what I'm talking about. Grape vines, throned vines. Vines so touch you can put a chain on them and pull them out of trees without them breaking.

Anyway, I walked over to a sapling to check for those danged vines when I spotted something. There's a rub on the tree and the tree is leaning. This tree is about 20, 25 feet off the house.

It's May. Deer shouldn't be doing rubs. What else is out there than can do something like that?

The tree is so damaged I'll end up taking it out.
We have already ascertained in past threads that you have a negative relationship with the Bigfoot in your pines.

Reactions: robin416

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
YES. Vines and ivy of all types. Lovely. I fight with the morning glories in my strawberries every year. Hard to pull just the one out, as strawberries have such shallow roots too!
I get it. Like a jungle.... just watch out for the Bigfoot.

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YES. Vines and ivy of all types. Lovely. I fight with the morning glories in my strawberries every year. Hard to pull just the one out, as strawberries have such shallow roots too!
Morning glories! How in the heck did they end up growing everywhere.

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I was taking my shower last night and had a thought. Of course by the time I got out of the shower I forgot about the thought. Then I ran into town and realized I forgot the thought and swore to remember after I got home.

Can you do raised beds for the berries to keep the naturally occurring glories from growing in among them? Or what happens when you clip them off at the ground? Do they stay away or resprout?

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
So, I was taking my shower last night and had a thought. Of course by the time I got out of the shower I forgot about the thought. Then I ran into town and realized I forgot the thought and swore to remember after I got home.

Can you do raised beds for the berries to keep the naturally occurring glories from growing in among them? Or what happens when you clip them off at the ground? Do they stay away or resprout?
As far as I’ve ever seen, short of digging up every trace of root system in these, they’re nearly impossible to do away with. Maybe someone knows something about them I don’t but man- they’re like any other nuisance!

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, shoot. I guess growing berries in containers is your option for keeping the morning glories at bay.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts