out with the old!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by seminolewind, Feb 13, 2017.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

I decided to sell off my living room and dining room furniture. I've decided to go "mid century modern"/ Scandinavian with a lot of teak.

So I'm getting a new side chair, coffee table, tv stand, teak dining room table, and 4 chairs that are sortof MCM. Basically, everything has tapered legs that kind of angle out. The dining room table is used and made in Denmark, The dinner table alone is actually from the 50's and being shipped from Myrtle Beach SC. I love my couch so that stays. Maybe at some point I can figure out how to remodel the legs.

In NY I had 1940's "farm house" décor which fit the house perfectly' But didn't quite "fit" down here in Florida. So that décor went mod-podge. This is fun!

2. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm saving $ to get the pop corn scraped off my ceiling and either canned lighting or at least different more up to date lighting in the kitchen. Then my cabinets are long over due painting.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I remember when popcorn ceilings were the "in" thing. I thought they were cool looking back then and still do. I recently told that to the realtor selling my moms house and she looked at me as if I was from outer space! LOL

4. seminolewind

I don't recall ever liking popcorn ceilings! I'm a minimalist when it comes to decor. It doesn't always end up that way. And this furniture is not pricey.
    I even got a good deal on an antique dining room table. $300 plus $170 for shipping from NC.
    My kitchen cabinets look okay, but if I tap on them, the glue is not holding the veneer on.

5. nannypattyrn

I like them for the most part, but they are old and hard to clean (when I do ) without getting little pop corns every where.

6. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I hate my popcorn ceilings.It holds dust and cobwebs and when I clean it,it falls in my face.Plus,they are cathedral ceilings and I want to put in drop ceilings.Right now we are saving for new flooring in half of the house,then new furniture for the living room.Then work on the plumbing,electric,etc.,the list is long and getting longer.

7. seminolewind

The list always gets longer with the more you accomplish LOL. Mine is a long outside list and a mostly maintenance issue. But a lot of cleaning gets done when new furniture is on the way!

8. chickenqueen

Sem,how's your wrist?Don't over-do the cleaning and hurt yourself.

9. seminolewind

Thanks, CQ. Wrist still stiff and has no strength. I try to use it as normally as I can, but it hurts and is stiff. I'm guessing tendons-they take forever to heal. So the break is perfectly healed.

But it gets tiring not doing anything, so I do what I can.

10. chickenqueen

It took me a few months to heal my broken wrist and I was 20 years younger.

11. nannypattyrn

Karen, is there any kind of stretches or strengthening therapy that you can do?

12. seminolewind

I do the therapy with it, and try to use it normally as much as possible. The last time I injured my wrist was 20 years ago in a car accident. That took almost a year to use fully again. I may end up needing to have something done because my hand has some numbness to it.

13. nannypattyrn

You may posdibly have damaged the carpal nerve when you broke your wrist. Or, maybe there's still some swelling around it that is causing the numbness.

14. seminolewind

I agree. It may take a long time to heal.

I got my 60's teak dining room table the other day. It is beautiful! It has a few scratches but that's expected.

I was trying to order this chair from Overstock for a week. My password didn't work and overstock help couldn't get it to work either. For some reason I wasn't getting the "check out as guest" button either. The coupon they sent me email was 12% off. The next one was 15% off. Yesterday I got one for 20% off for 6 hours. So I tried on a different laptop and got the guest check out button and got the chair 20% off.

15. seminolewind

Well, I ordered this chair from Overstock, and they sent me the similar shorter one. So I contacted them and they said that they would send me the right one out asap, and pick up the wrong one in a few days. The NEXT day, less than 24 hours, FedEx shows up with the right chair! Wonderful! But I get an email from them saying that there will be a delay. But I got it so who cares!

Today FedEx shows up with another correct chair! Now I have 2 (for the price of 1). There are actual laws that state if you get it and didn't order it, it's yours! So I'm all set! Lucky me, I happened to be waiting for a real good coupon to buy the same chair and have a matched set.

I have to say that a few years ago I get a pricey Nikon in the mail from Amazon. Dummy me, I call them to return it or ask who sent it, and they say they need the packing slip or they can't take the item back or tell me who purchased. I did try, but I ended up selling the camera on Ebay for $400.

16. chickenqueen

Free is always good!!!!Also,2 for the price of 1 is good!!!I could never pass up a bargain.

17. seminolewind

I never posted pics of my new style.
    P1010586.JPG P1010588.JPG P1010587.JPG

18. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Light and bright warm climate look.

19. chickenqueen

I love your floors!!!Are they easy to keep clean with the critters?I'm looking for new floors and want to stay away from carpet.I never thought of a light color but it looks good in your house.