our new chick

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Honeysnuckle, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Honeysnuckle

Honeysnuckle New Member

Hi,
    We started with 5 chicks in April, one got out several weeks ago and our 70 lbs. dog chased her...needless to say, that did not mix well.
    We went and bought another chick, she looks just like the other ones, but they still treat her as if she is an outcast. They don't peck her anymore, but keep running her off. She gets plenty of food, but this bad treatment has made her stop laying. Does anyone know what we could try to get them to stop being mean to her? Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Introducing a new chick is hard sometimes. Just take it slow. I keep mine separated for a day or two, then I let them check out their new digs alone for a day or two. After that I let them start roaming the yard after they've gotten to see the others a bit & vice versa. They'll work out their new pecking order. Takes time. Sometimes less time, sometimes more.

3. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

An average chicken has the brain ability to recognize by sight 100 other chickens. You may think it "looks just like the other" but the chickens know it isn't. You have to take any new addition slow and keep them separate, but still in sight of each other. I made a 4 foot by 5 foot chicken wire brooder box to put new chickens in. They have room to scratch around and the other chickens can come up and get to know each other before co-mingling.

4. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

yeah just keep it in a different cage but in sight to talk i usually wait 5 days

5. luckyridgefarm

luckyridgefarm Junior Member

Wait is she a chick or a young pullet? I'm a little confused you said she has stopped laying? I agree with the others I would keep her separated from the others for a few days?

6. Honeysnuckle

Honeysnuckle New Member

She is a few months older than my girls, and the first few days she laid nice big eggs, while ours laid smaller eggs. Then she stopped laying all together.
    It is too late to seperate them now, since it has been weeks.
    I can only hope for the best now?
    Thank you for your responses!

7. luckyridgefarm

luckyridgefarm Junior Member

I don't think it would be to late to separate her from the chickens. But if you feel that it is then hopefully the rest of the chicks will get use to her.

8. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

I have noticed that if there are more chickens, they are less aggressive to each other.

They will accept it soon, quiet. Hens have their own hierarchy that we must understand

9. cogburn

cogburn New Member

10. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

What means "Ttt",Cogburn?

11. cogburn

cogburn New Member

To The Top !!
    It moves posts and threads back to the top of forum category, they tend to get "buried" especially with the new members posting so much, if I see something previously covered or mentioned or something that needs to be seen again I put TTT to bring it back to life.. Just trying to help without typing it all over again, ya know..

Cogburn

12. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

Ook :) Thank you for the explication