Our Little Chicks LOVE Treats From Our Garden!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by Slippy, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Slippy

Slippy Member

After reading and studying up on various treats to feed our little pullets I am here to tell you that I am absolutely amazed at what our little girls will eat!

Radishes, both greens and the radish
    Corn on the Cob-WOW they love it!
    Carrot Greens
    Zucchini
    Squash
    Tomatoes
    Peppers! Never thought chickens would devour peppers like they do.

Not from our garden and a fan favorite; WATERMELON!

Other than that is has been Medicated Chick Starter Crumbles and they love that too. Crazy little things aren't they?

Sylie and Thomas Lippert like this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Someone here mentioned peppers and chickens, maybe Sylie. I've never tried them with any of mine.

There will come a time when they look at you with looks on their faces of what is this? This isn't what I want. Bring something else.

Mine were very much into the corn on the cob until they weren't. Right now it's iceberg lettuce for some reason. The quail go crazy over it. Even the Guineas are into it. That won't last. They used to like mustard greens but not so much any more.

I know we've had cooler than normal temps but your girls must be getting ready to move out to the coop.

3. Slippy

Slippy Member

Yes Ma'am. Today is actually the first day of Week 3 that they have been in the Coop.
    We've been in the high 80's/low 90's for the last few weeks and the girls have taken to the new Coop very well.

This morning I caught them exploring the nesting boxes
    IMG_2099 (002).jpg

From their droppings, they certainly have explored every inch of the Coop & Run area
    IMG_2101 (002).jpg

And their starting to roost on the highest level of the roosting bars that I built. (At least their droppings indicate it!)

They seem healthy, happy and used to me and Mrs Slippy.

Our Cattle Dog likes to "herd" the chicks from one end of the Coop to the other from outside the Coop and it appears to be a game to the chicks. They now will approach our dog as she stares at them through the hardware cloth and then run away.

Its funny to watch.

Sylie likes this.
  4. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

It's part of why they are so addictive. Their behaviors, their likes and dislikes.

Now you need to go get some critters that the dog can actually herd. Although if you let the peeps out into the open you'll always know where they are since the dog won't let them get far.

Sylie and Slippy like this.