Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you keep your other hens from climbing in the nest box and adding eggs to a hens clutch? Yesterday my broody had 9 eggs and today there were 12! I don't know which are new and which are old.

·
977 Posts
I too have had that problem ! We noticed our broody Cochin had extra eggs and we watch. When she hopped off to stretch, eat , drink , pop, another chicken hoped in and laid her egg. So we put a crayon mark X on the eggs. If they don't have a mark they are fresh ones !

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I recently had this problem as well. I was told to mark the eggs so any new ones added can be removed. You can also candle the eggs to see which ones are further along so you know which are original eggs.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I mark these and we reach hatch day could I move the extra eggs into the incubator? She has at least 6 "extra" that didn't get laid until after she went went broody or will she continue to incubate the newest ones on her own?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
So if I mark these and we reach hatch day could I move the extra eggs into the incubator? She has at least 6 "extra" that didn't get laid until after she went went broody or will she continue to incubate the newest ones on her own?
I would think that would go ok.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It is a good idea to move a broody to a secluded area or block the others out fro that nest area. There is a huge chance the others won't be so nice to the babies if they do hatch or at least cause fights with the broody protecting her chicks area.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The dirty eggs may be OK. I use brinseas disinfectant in my incubator. It is a safe product. And could be sprayed over the dirty eggs. Don't wash them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well today was the day that my little fancy was suppose to hatch babies! And nothing so far but that doesn't mean tonight it won't start. Maybe I got the day wrong:-(

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well today should be day 22 and I still don't see any babies. I am starting to feel bad for her. But I do have some in the incubator that should hatch next weekend. Oh I am continuing to let her sit just in case.

·
977 Posts
My white Cochin is laying on a few eggs. When I get home I sprinkle some food on the ground in front of her and she hops out to eat and stretch her legs. When she did, I put a few of her eggs up to my ear to see if I could hear anything. One egg I could hear peeping and tapping! The others nothing. So I know she has at least one baby coming very soon! Try it see if you hear anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts