Organic feed for winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by K10sal, Oct 7, 2020.

1. K10sal

K10sal New Member

Hi all. This is my first year raising chooks. I have 7 hens and one roo. As of yesterday, all 7 ladies are laying. Yayyyy!!! I was really mindful in selecting crumble for them - paying attention to quality and ingredients. However, I didn’t even think that my roo couldn’t eat what his ladies are eating. I just read on the bag not to feed to roos. Yikes! So, here I am...in need of advice.

What can I feed all 8 that is organic and of proper composition/calories to help them stay warm in the winter? They are free range during the day currently so get most food from the yard, I presume. When in the coop, they all eat from the same feeders. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Do they not offer feed that is organic that isn't layer?

I've had my birds on 20% protein crumbles their entire lives. The girls had free choice oyster shell to partake of when they felt they needed it.

My birds were not hatchery birds so they lived far longer than hatchery birds typically do. What I'm getting at is that the 20% protein did not cause them problems.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. K10sal

K10sal New Member

I would presume they do...but I just don’t know which is which. I’m looking online and trying to read info on different feeds but figured someone here might have already done that. (Work smarter not harder). If I don’t get any replies with a specific feed, I’ll run over to tractor supply and just start reading all the bags.

4. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

So much depends on where you live. What might be available to me probably isn't to you. It can be frustrating. So many would say, get this feed it's absolutely the best for show birds. Except that feed was only available in certain areas.

I wasn't even aware of TSC selling organic feed. I get mine from a mom and pop that gets their feed from a small mill. But it does not claim to be organic.

5. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I'm always trying different obscure feed mixes, so I have made a habit of collecting the tags from the bags to compare.