Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's very strange but my girl who had the sore eye just disappeared yesterday!!! She never used to wander off far apart from spending most of he day scratching around in the mandarin orchard. But I searched for hours last night and there was no sign of her and absolutely no evidence of foul play like a dog attack, no feathers anywhere. The only conclusion I can come to is a hawk perhaps. I think because of her eye wound she was partially blind in that eye.

Anyway so today as, I only had two hens, I got another to keep the remaining one company. They are both in the coop tonight after the new one being locked in coop alone all afternoon. My hens are free range during the day but how long do you think I should keep the new one locked in during the day. ? When I put them together tonight threw one was pecking my girls beak gently. Is that packing or something else?

Also

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
VickiGG said:
It's very strange but my girl who had the sore eye just disappeared yesterday!!! She never used to wander off far apart from spending most of he day scratching around in the mandarin orchard. But I searched for hours last night and there was no sign of her and absolutely no evidence of foul play like a dog attack, no feathers anywhere. The only conclusion I can come to is a hawk perhaps. I think because of her eye wound she was partially blind in that eye.

Anyway so today as, I only had two hens, I got another to keep the remaining one company. They are both in the coop tonight after the new one being locked in coop alone all afternoon. My hens are free range during the day but how long do you think I should keep the new one locked in during the day. ? When I put them together tonight threw one was pecking my girls beak gently. Is that packing or something else?

Also
Sorry...typos... Tonight the new one....
Is that pecking? Not packing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't worry it's normal, we have about 30 and each time we get more they all have a little peck at each other and some fights to work out who's boss etc, so don't worry they'll settle soon

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Do you think the new one will be ok to free range after one night and one afternoon in coop/run? Or should I only let the existing one out to run today. I was hoping they'd stick together.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah completely fine, we put ours out free range almost instantly, we put them in the little perch area and let them go in and out as they please :) don't worry about her shell be fine :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thesmallholding said:
Yeah completely fine, we put ours out free range almost instantly, we put them in the little perch area and let them go in and out as they please :) don't worry about her shell be fine :)
Thank you! :). I'll let her out later when I get home again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awwww...she's had a lovely afternoon and sticking with the other one so all good..thanks!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a hawk problem, but tons of feathers were everywhere! I got a new hen and a rooster. We kept the hen and the rooster in a separate cage, the other chickens were in the coop. I separate the coop in to two. In the coop they still got to see each other but could touch or peek one another. Then, a week later I took down the wires. And let them see and be together. They did start peeking the hen, but they got used to it each other:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts