Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am havering problem with a Predictor digging hole in the ground under my coop and every time I cover them, they keep makeing new ones, I'm not happy about this and don't know what to do about it....... I need this to stop if u have any ideas on what to do or what it is so I can fix it, tell me here are some pictures of what I have thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh! That's awful! :( I'm very sorry!
Where do you live? That may help with narrowing down the predictor. I live in England so therefore foxes are my first thought but that does not look like work of foxes at all.

·
Registered
647 Posts
you can bury hardware cloth around the bottom of the coop and have it extend out underground too. You can also put it on the floor of the coop too.

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
The buried wire is the only way to stop it. I had dirt hard as concrete so without resorting to a back hoe the only way for me to fix it was to lay the wire out a couple of feet from the coop and bury it with bucket fulls of dirt. Run the wire up the side a few inches and sandwich it by screwing a board over it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the same thing here and I got a game cam to put in the barn and it was rats that were the culprit. We have put hardware cloth around the barn and they discovered new ways around that. They were 2 smart for traps so I just got 2 barn cats and so far so good. I heard rats usually went after feed, small chick and eggs but before I knew what was getting in, I never realized they could be this brutal to a bigger chicken. We are running out of ideas to stop them from getting in so I hope the cats continue to work! Do the killing happen overnight and is it more than one chicken at a time?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts