Old School Protein Treat Supplement for Newly Hatched Chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by Poultry Judge, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Old School Treat.jpg So yesterday was a little stressful with the three new Peafowl hatchlings. One had splayed legs, the worst I've seen in a Peafowl. So we had to hobble that one and now he or she is walking. Hopefully, it will continue to improve today. I made up an old school protein treat supplement for they and their compadres in the other brooder. The Peafowl babies ate it slowly in their brooder. I placed a big bowl of it in the large brooder and it was literally gone in under a minute. The recipe I used today is: 5 eggs, 1/4 cup dried mealworms, 1/4 cup catfish pellets, and 1/8 teaspoon vitamins/probiotic supplement added after I microwaved the mixture for three minutes and let it cool. After cooling I just mash some up with a fork and feed it. It looks kind of like a souffle or something. And no, it doesn't stink up the kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2020
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

It's frightening but you're right, it looks like some sort of frittata.

I noticed that one in the pic on the left side front of the photo, I was wondering about the way it's feet looked. But just hatched I'm not sure I'd be standing there with my feet placed the way they should be.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad to know that I"m not the only one to have noticed that little guy's foot/feet. I was going to say something but thought maybe it was just the way it was standing at the moment the pic was taken, was going to wait for a new pic to decide if I should bring it up lol.
    Glad you caught it PJ!

4. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Peafowl Chicks.jpg That Peachick is right as rain this a.m. I used tiny strips of vet wrap to hobble and then placed it in a standing box for about three hours. Once it was walking, I just kept working with it until last night and it sat with me and watched the late news. I used to occasionally have an Emu chick hatchling with leg/hip issues and we had to deal with those right away. I still have a bunch of rolls of non-skid shelf/drawer liner material which gives excellent footing, so I put a strip of that in the brooder tub for the Peafowl.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2020
    Sylie likes this.
  5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Glad to read that it adapted so rapidly to the fix and is now out and about on its own two feet.