Chicken Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm looking into making my own feed for my flock, and looming at an old belt drivin cockshut grinder. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with either these Grinders or just making feed itself. Amy advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Font Metal
Wood Gas Fixture Machine Composite material
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Font Metal

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
I still grind feed because I have belt driven machinery on the farm including a sheller and grinder. Questions to consider: Do you have a ready source for grains and how much feed do you need at a time. One advantage is you can grind small batches. The grinder you have pictured will grind a bin full of feed or scratch in a very short period of time. I would mount it on a higher stand so you can get a bin or garbage can under the outlet spout. You can grind anywhere from cracked grains to dust if you want. That grinder should make excellent scratch. It won't take much horsepower to run that one, also grinding slow prevents the grains from overheating but it looks like from the size of the pulley on that grinder, that it will grind slowly enough not to damage your chicken grain. Are you making feed for other animals on the farm? That's when it's really useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I have available grains and all. That's no problem. Looking to learn how to do all this on chickens and in the future do for more animals too. 2 questions then, 1- what would you value a grinder like that? 2- does this all look normal inside the Hopper?
Brown Wood Fixture Tints and shades Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
The inside auger looks okay. Value around here would be about 200 dollars. Make sure the adjuster is free for the coarseness of the grind. I also hand mix in any vitamins or minerals after the grind.

Reactions: imstihlworking

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
Think ergonomics when putting one together, how do you want to mount it in the barn, you could make it three point on a heavy stand behind the tractor, then it would be portable. Safety will be the big issue with the belt and you may need belt dressing from time to time but it is well worth rehabbing one of these old grinders.

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
I will respectfully decline and explain why. I mix feed for the laying hens, I mix an all flock, an all stock and horse feed. I used to be proud of my emu mix because those birds were picky. The recipes vary according to the season, ie. protein in winter, juvenile mixes in the spring etcetera. There are many many recipes on the net to choose from. It depends if you are mixing organic or not which is a big deal with some folks. I'm trying to keep a sanctuary afloat, not argue bird feed with anyone. I will say that some recipes you will see are far more expensive than any commercial feed. The best recipe is the one that works for you and keeps your flock healthy and happy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts