Official 2018 Gardening Thread

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by seminolewind, Apr 1, 2018.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

I don't think I've grown any veggies in 20 years. And Florida is a challenge to me. But I started some seeds and got my yellow wax beans planted . Next is these peas that are 6 inches tall and need to be trellised. My tomatoes are sprouting. I need to plant my cuke seeds. Gosh it seems like everything needs a trellis this year except the lettuce! I am going to guess that eggplants trellis too???

I have a Bunch of Crinum Lilies that need to go. If anyone likes them just pay me shipping. I get white or pink flowers, and can't remember which are which. If you don't know what they are, google them. They're kind of interesting and do multiply.

Steinwand likes this.
  2. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you are off to a good start.I stake the eggplants if the fruit gets heavy.So far I only have Brussels Sprouts sprouts.I'll be starting a bunch of stuff in a couple of weeks.I know it's spring but Mother Nature isn't cooperating.I was looking at the asparagus bed yesterday and there is standing water on each row(and now 2' of snow,too)and temps are way below normal.

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Active Member

They look beautiful but NY weather would kill 'em dead :(

4. seminolewind

Sue you have a good excuse-until May, LOL
    CQ are Brussel sprouts worth growing? I eat them all the time (frozen food)

5. chickenqueen

Yeah,they produce like crazy but you have to pick them when they're 2" for best flavor but you can "manicure" them and throw them in the freezer.Down there in Fla you could probably grow them most of the year,if not all year,because they are cold weather plants(not sure what your brutal summer heat would do to them).

6. chickenqueen

I bought some cabbage seeds and I'm going to start them today and hopefully I can put them out with the Brussels Sprouts.I need to throw some "cooked" straw/chicken poop on the asparagus bed if it ever quits raining.

7. seminolewind

I wonder if you get more rain than we do?

Black Snake. We had a 2-3 foot black snake that got caught up in a lump of deer fencing (won't buy anymore of that) . I go out and snip away as much as I can and it's wrapped tight around his body, but I'm doing my best at snipping the webbing without snipping the snake. He was very patient with me. He ran under something with some web still really tight on his skin, like embedded and if I can't find him I hope he can survive with it on. Maybe after he digests he can get it off. I feel bad for him.

boskelli1571 likes this.
  8. chickenqueen

I like snakes,anything that eats rodents is alright by me.I had deer netting up at the border and a neighbor's hen got caught in it and sliced most of her comb off and one of the geese got caught in it and hurt an "ankle".I took it down and bought real fence.I liked the deer netting until the injuries happened.I won't be using it again.

seminolewind and boskelli1571 like this.
  9. seminolewind

Yea that's the end of deer netting use. The snake was really cute- especially when my snake o phobia hubs is standing behind me saying "Oh he's ready to strike!". I hope I terrified him (hubs) real good.

chickenqueen likes this.
  10. chickenqueen

I went to start my cabbage but I can't find the seed packet I just bought.I have to buy more today.In another week or two the moon will be right to start the maters,peppers,okra and egg plant.I don't know if planting to the moon's phase really works but it doesn't hurt to do it.We're still below normal temps.We're usually in the 60's but the temps have been in the 30's and 40's.I'm beginning to believe there is a mini ice age coming.I hope I'm wrong...

11. boskelli1571

We have snow today...supposed to be really cold here for the next week or so then maybe spring will arrive.
    I need this nonsense to stop - I got stuff to do!
    After the latest windstorm I have 3 ash, 1 maple, 1 old apple and a few other miscellaneous trees to buck and split....

12. seminolewind

Today I found yesterday's snake in another tangle dead. Black snake. 10 feet away I find a brown snake tangled and dead. How sad! I ripped the rest of the deer fencing down.

13. DuckRunner

DuckRunner Active Member

I planted 6 bags of potatoes a week ago, 60 olive saplings, LOTS of flowers (I think they come out next year) also a baby palm tree and last of all 6 Syrian pines and umbrella pines (my favourite pines) from Spain.

chickenqueen and boskelli1571 like this.
  14. boskelli1571

Wow! You want to come garden at my place??

chickenqueen likes this.
  15. chickenqueen

DR,where have you been?I am glad to see you back and you are doing ok.Sounds like you've been busy.

16. seminolewind

Olive saplings? What temp can they grow? Do you "brine" them yourself?

17. chickenqueen

I found my cabbage seeds yesterday and got them started.I had thought I put them with the next batch to start and then looked every where else several times over.I found them with the the next batch of seeds after looking again yesterday.Go figure!!!I hope you all get a good laugh out of this,I didn't....:rolleyes:

seminolewind and boskelli1571 like this.
  18. boskelli1571

That's nothing..I thought I had forgotten my parsnip seeds and ordered some more, then found the ones I already had. I will have enough parsnips to feed the entire community now :)

seminolewind likes this.
  19. chickenqueen

Oh,I love parsnips and I've got my first seeds this year and I'm gonna try them and carrots in pots,we got clay under the dirt.Got any advice?I've never grown either but I'm tired of GMO foods and want to be self sufficient and eat honest-to-goodness food.I will learn how to can this year.Next is a couple off milk goats(Dale is slowly warming to the idea)but probably not this year,too much is going on.

20. boskelli1571

Parsnips are wonderful, especially after the first frost!
    As they are roots, you need to try to remove rocks etc. otherwise the roots with fork or twist, much like carrots, just spade it over well to break up the soil a bit - I too have clay. They don't care to be pampered so resist the temptation to amend the bed with goodies before you plant.
    The only year I amended the soil I got 0 parsnips :(. I find them very easy to grow, but you have to weed diligently for the first couple of months b/c they grow quite slowly. Enjoy:)

chickenqueen likes this.