Chicken Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently my Buff started laying down in the middle of the yard in an odd contorted way. He seriously looks dead (on his back one leg tucked to his chest the other stretched out) ... every time I walk out to him and talk he looks at me and answers but doesn't move until I pick him up. If I stand him up he'll stand there for awhile then run off. It's becoming an almost daily thing. What on earth am I dealing with?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not a dust bath, he's laying in grass and today I found him in a mud puddle. The other roosters were picking on him and he just stayed right there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brought my boy in and he's been sitting in the same spot ever since, but he's eating. Not sure about drinking he has water access but I haven't seen him drink. And his poo is looking normal but out was runny yesterday.

ForumRunner_20130223_083136.jpg

Attachments

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Is he eating and drinking at all? If he's not, you need to at least force some sugarwater in him with an eyedropper. It will give him some calories, and maybe some energy. If you have to force water down him, then start some antibotic in his water. And try to get some mashed potatoes or something down him. Let us know if he is better, or what.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
(sorry ... but)

Get him to a vet or cull him. (My vote is for cull...)

But that is just me.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
He looks pretty bad, in my experience the kindest thing to do would be to cull him. His stance and comb tell me that something is wrong and he seems pretty far gone. It's never easy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'd try some antibotics you can give an injection or force it mixed with water, injection is probably best. Let us know how he does! Keep us posted

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He died before I could cull him. I made the decision to cull and found him dead. Yes his comb was turning purple. He was drinking and eating like crazy, but had liquid poo this morning. When he drank he dipped his entire head under water.

·
Registered
315 Posts
MommyWoes said:
He died before I could cull him. I made the decision to cull and found him dead. Yes his comb was turning purple. He was drinking and eating like crazy, but had liquid poo this morning. When he drank he dipped his entire head under water.
My roo Gary just died Friday with the same symptoms. He had diarrhea for a couple weeks though. He had a blue comb, stopped crowing, mating but was eating and drinking like he felt ok. He was laying in the grass when I got home. I picked him up and a few minutes later he died in my arms. Sounds like they were going through the same thing. I'm sorry!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts