Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our first egg yesterday. I think from my RIR, but I can't be sure. She is currently in the nest box, panting and her comb, wattle and face are almost skin colored, lost all the red color. Is there something about laying an egg that can drain the color from her face or should I be worried and not eat her eggs? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, isn't that odd? We just found another egg and the RIR came out of the nest box, got a big drink of water and lots of food (all the color was back), and then SOMEONE laid an egg in the run, I can only guess it is her. It is just so strange it's like it happens with her mood or stress or something like that.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I've never noticed mine to lose their coloring before. Just lots of panting and grunting which makes me feel so bad they have to do all this what seems to be rather painful to me, work for an egg.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She was for sure panting, so I'm guessing it was her. She seems fine now, eating bugs, drinking and running around with the others. No sickly behavior or poops in any of them. It is so strange. This chicken spooked once when I picked her up and all the color drained from her face, as soon as I put her down, she was fine. It's so strange to me, but I do believe she is a healthy chicken.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
No idea. I tried looking it up but all I find is molting. Personally I have never watched my chickens lay an egg so not sure if this happens here or not. I wouldn't worry since she eats, drinks, and is active.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EdisNiksic said:
Maybe she is part chameleon lol
Ha! I'll go with that! Thanks Apyl, I've tried looking it up too, and haven't found much. I'm not going to worry about her, yet, but it's a little strange. Maybe I'll ask our vet. Thanks all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts