Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
InnKeeper said:
Did you cook anything else in the pan first? It looks like a piece of crumbled sausage.
The pan was clean. I did melt butter in the pan before adding the eggs. I did not notice anything in the butter. I am just concerned for my chickens. It kinda looked like a growth or tissue. I hope you are right.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
I would assume if it was something from the chicken to the egg, it would be in the yolk. I don't know why I think that, I just do. :confused:

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I've always called them "meaty bits", they seem to be a bit of congealed protein and I see them all the time. I usually take a piece of the shell and pick them out. Just because they look a bit icky.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I read something about some hens have blood spots in eggs. I think when cooked they get like that. I had a hen that had them in every egg, just picked it out before frying. Otherwise in a cake mix or cookies...you don't know about them.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I usually find these in bloody eggs. Just figured they were blood clots or something else the hen needed to flush out of her system. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I scoop them out when I see them but as another poster said it's more for psychological reasons. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is (probably) a bit of tissue that broke away as the yoke was released or picked up early on as it travelled down oviduct. It happens usually in when pullets are starting to lay or when an older hen is about at the end of her laying days. It is one of the reasons commercial eggs are candled.

·
Registered
558 Posts
When I was a kid (no, we didn't have chickens, but mother was raised on a farm) we had some eggs with blood spots in the yoke and mother said that was a fertilized egg, but I never saw one in the white.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A blood spot is different than what she showed. Yes, a blood spot will start on the yolk and is most often from a fertile egg.
When I was a kid, that spot she showed we called "meat". You can pick it out, but it's not a big deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts