nutritional info for farm eggs?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by cl_dewey, Sep 19, 2012.

1. cl_dewey

cl_dewey Junior Member

Does anyone know if there are any studies out on the.nutritional info for farm eggs vs commercial eggs? I sometimes track my food for sparkpeople and wonder what the protein and fat really are comparable to a commercial egg.

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I've heard two reports but as I don't know who did the study nor do I know who "paid" for the study ... I say take it with a few grains of salt. Both report came back as "No difference" ... :rolleyes:

For me it knowing where my food comes from ... I know what I feed my animals and how they are treated ...

So study or not ... I'm cool with what I do & how I do it ... :p

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That makes sense though. That's what I would have predicted the answer to be. It's because there is a "magic" genetic recipe for what needs to be in a egg to start and support a baby chicken. Usually that is supplied at the expense of the mother. So the mother will give to the egg even if she puts herself in deficiency state. (remember the woman with all the children). So she will make herself calcium deficient (life threatening situation) so that her offspring can survive. So it would make sense that the eggs would be identical. Eggs are considered perfect food. That's why.

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Tinyhouse, I like your answer much better than mine. I stand corrected. Horray for back yard chickens!

6. teddy

teddy Scrambled Eggs

Here is my personal study. I will never eat a commercial egg. once you go orange yoke you never go back.

7. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Here's my study... I love free range cackle berries !!!

Attached Files:

8. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I read recently free range have higher omega 3 but aside from that I haven't read much else.

Well, except what's in this thread.

9. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

From another article: "A 2009 study at Penn State found that pastured hens’ eggs had significantly higher amounts of omega-3s and vitamins E and lower omega-6s than their mash-only counterparts."

http://flavormagazinevirginia.com/localeggs/

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Okay, okay! Uncle, uncle already! Lol. ;-)