Not on roost bars

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by Pepperman, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Pepperman

Pepperman New Member

Made my new girls a nice coop. Added roost bars so they wouldn't crowd themselves.
    I find only 3 roosting and the others huddled in the corner sleeping. Will they get over this? Only been out of the brooder about 10 days. Thank you for any help.

2. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, they will. Sometimes it takes them a bit to feel safe and confident to try out the roosts.

How high are they? I've seen my youngest playing on roosts that are lower to the ground. Almost like they're practicing for the real deal.

3. Pepperman

Pepperman New Member

They are set up like stairs. Then 3 of them across the back. They use the ones outside with no problem.

4. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

You can go out after they go to "bed" and pick each one up and put them on the roost. Do this for several nights to teach them where they need to be. It doesn't take long and they'll figure it out.

dawg53 and chickenqueen like this.
  5. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Promise. They will figure it out. Give them some time. All it takes is one to get up there and being a flock, the rest will follow.

Maryellen likes this.
  6. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

When I move my juveniles into the coop,I start at night when the adults have already roosted.Then I carry them back there and place them on a roost.Eventually,2-3 wks,they'll go by themselves,BUT I do have 2 Light Brahmas that prefer to snuggle on the floor,1 is 1 y o and the other 4 yo.As long as nothing from outside can snatch them out,they'll be fine.

7. seminolewind

If you lay a log or 4x4 post on the ground in front of your roost they will probably use it.

8. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

My hennies have multiple roost bars both inside and outside their house and if it's a nice day, they may spread out around the coop. But if it's cold or after dark, it doesn't matter how many options they have- I may find them packed tightly together, side by side across the same bar OR in the same nesting box!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    boskelli1571 likes this.
  9. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

My girls did that for a while when they first came out too, but eventually they found their way. I have one, barred rock I call Esther that likes to sleep in the corner of the coop.

10. seminolewind

Chickens are odd. They all want the same spot on the roost bar. I also have 3-4 that prefer a corner in the coop on the ground. My roost bar is mid-thigh high.