Chicken Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chickens are almost 25 weeks old. I have 1 that started laying about a week ago and she's been laying an egg every day, but none of the rest of our flock are laying yet. We put a light out in our coop. They have free run of our yard during the day and come in at dark. We have searched and searched he yard to make sure we aren't missing any, but haven't seen any other chickens laying yet.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm in the same boat. The only ones I have that lay are the ones I bought at tractor supply. The ones I bought from hatcheries aren't laying. I figure must be bad genetics. Mine are close to thirty weeks.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought 4 new ladies that were supposedly ready t start laying in two to three weeks, that was in September no signs of laying ANYTIME soon! I have 17 girls and Redman (RIR roo) I get 5-6 eggs per day, thought by now I'd b able to start selling eggs but at this rate they barely keep up with my baking businesses needs.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had my tsc layers for sale awhile back. Good thing they didn't sell or I would have no layers now to fill my incubator. Lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My girls started laying a couple of weeks ago. We have 9 chickens and we are up to 8 eggs as of today! So, I needed to put a light and a heater in their house. When they get enough light and heat, they give me eggs.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Update: would you believe those "ready to lay pullets" I bought back in September are STILL not laying!!! They show no signs of starting anytime soon either. Their little combs are still very pale pink. They sure eat their fare share of feed though, and are big and fluffy. They keep this up and my dinner table is going t b their final nesting spot. Lol (ya right like I have the where-with-all to kill one of my girls.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is an ongoing debate on light n heat. I feel it messes with their normal cycles and makes them stop laying earlier in life. So it is a eggs now or eggs later discussion. If a big storm knocks out power your chickens will not be acclimated to the temps. Heat should only be used if there is multiple days less than 10 degrees. Good luck. Every one has their own take. That is mine.

·
Registered
377 Posts
minmin1258 said:
Update: would you believe those "ready to lay pullets" I bought back in September are STILL not laying!!! They show no signs of starting anytime soon either. Their little combs are still very pale pink. They sure eat their fare share of feed though, and are big and fluffy. They keep this up and my dinner table is going t b their final nesting spot. Lol (ya right like I have the where-with-all to kill one of my girls. dde22
It's common for breeders to sell POL (point of lay) pullets after they are ten weeks. It's just a term they use to differentiate between day olds, chicks, started chicks, and anything after that. Once they start laying they are sold as "laying hens." The pullets can lay anywhere from 14 weeks and up so it's always a breeder's best guess. Conditions once they reach their new home also influence their actual lay date. I'm still waiting on my 27 week old Olive Egger to start. Although--her face is getting very bright red and she won't shut up. I'm assuming we are close.

·
Registered
575 Posts
kessy09 said:
It's common for breeders to sell POL (point of lay) pullets after they are ten weeks. It's just a term they use to differentiate between day olds, chicks, started chicks, and anything after that. Once they start laying they are sold as "laying hens." The pullets can lay anywhere from 14 weeks and up so it's always a breeder's best guess. Conditions once they reach their new home also influence their actual lay date. I'm still waiting on my 27 week old Olive Egger to start. Although--her face is getting very bright red and she won't shut up. I'm assuming we are close.
the breeder actually had the cadoolies to tell me these girls were close to 16 wks old and the breed starts laying at 18 wk so would only be two wks three at most before they started laying. Here it's already been another 10-12 wks and still nothing. I don't figure they will b laying until spring. Kinda resigned to that now. It they start earlier nice but not expecting it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My hatchery birds haven't started yet either. They were hatched in May and June. I am still only getting eggs from the tsc ones I bought in March that started laying in August. The ones hatched in May are slowly making it to the dinner table.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Remember, the 21-25 weeks is an average. Example, Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas can take 35+ weeks to be ready to lay! while red sex links can at 14 or 15 weeks. Then you do have the winter slow down, and depending on climate and conditions, some will hold off till spring. When you say genetics, that can be true, especially if you have a breed that starts later. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks Jim, the ones I was referring to in MY post are red sexlinks. So as t said I figure not to expect anything til Spring. Thx

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
minmin1258 said:
Thanks Jim, the ones I was referring to in MY post are red sexlinks. So as t said I figure not to expect anything til Spring. Thx
wow, sex links are usually good early layers, but, I am in south Texas, were the daylight stay at 10-12 hrs for the short days in winter.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm not too concerned right now...although I noticed this morning two of the "teenagers" have redder combs today. Hmmmm maybe eggs sooner than Spring?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yay one of my teenagers layed today! It was a pretty little tiny brown egg. Don't know which one did it but fairly sure it was one if them. Yippeeee! Lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts