Normal weight for rock hens?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by lizmv, Oct 15, 2020.

1. HSJ07

HSJ07 Active Member

Homer is something! He will be 6 weeks old Monday. He is developing his crown and his waddle. Each morning when I go check on them at daylight, my lap buddies all want to sit in my lap. This morning Homer jumped up there and tried to not let the others get in my lap. I know he is the rooster but I intervened a bit and let them all up there for a little bit.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

You're hooked. Big time.

HSJ07 and Poultry Judge like this.

3. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

You have the right breeds which can become really tame.

HSJ07 likes this.
  4. Poultry Judge

Hey Now!

HSJ07 likes this.
  5. robin416

Shoe fits, etc, etc, etc.

6. Poultry Judge

Not much to argue with there.

7. HSJ07

HSJ07 Active Member

8. HSJ07

HSJ07 Active Member

I am a 63 year old retiree who wanted some chickens for eggs. I grew up around chickens and granddaddy always had his advice. I have fallen in love with my little 7 and everybody that knows my wife and I say our chickens have the best conditions of any chickens around and are tamer than any they have seen. We treat them as well as our cats and dog and ourselves for that matter. I won't let them be cold or hot. I probably give them too much treats but I am sorry my granddaddy used to say happy chickens make baskets of eggs. The happier and more comfortable they are the longer they will lay and live. I hope that is true. He also said that rooster needs to be your friend.

9. HSJ07

HSJ07 Active Member

[​IMG]

Poultry Judge and robin416 like this.
  10. robin416

LOL

Word of warning, don't let your girls get fat. They have a rough time laying eggs if they get too heavy. So watch those treats, young man. :D

Overmountain1 likes this.
  11. Poultry Judge

12. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Ok so here’s my question, Robin- how can we tell if they are GETTING fat to cut it off at the gate? What to look for, etc? Cause I’d HATE to do it to any of them, bc I’m sure it’s almost impossible to make a chicken exercise!!!

13. robin416

LOL With all that scratching they do they're getting exercise.

One of the ways is noticing one of the same breed is heavier than the another of the same breed. And there is a weight average that each breed should be.

Empty calorie things like corn can pack the pounds on if too much is given to them. Or maybe I should say ounces since we're talking about chickens.

It only seems to be a problem for those that feed too many treats of varying kinds.

14. Poultry Judge

The weight averages for each breed are listed in the Standard. If the chickens spend any time free ranging at all, they won't get fat. They are doing what chickens are supposed to do, as Robin said, scratching around and doing whatever esoteric stuff chickens do when we're not looking!

robin416 likes this.
  15. Poultry Judge

I have one huge and morbidly obese broiler hen, which of course has ended up being a pet. She eats the chicken food, duck food and anything she can get. She is the only fat bird I have, so is a bit of an anomaly. Her name is Lady, I'll try to remember to get a pic.

16. robin416

How old is she, PJ? We've had quite a few coming through wondering how to keep their boilers living longer than intended.

17. Poultry Judge

Only six months, she did just go through her first molt. I am interested in controlling her nutrition so she will live longer. She's not going to get eaten around here.

18. robin416

Well six months is longer than most make it. We had one forum member who kept some of hers around longer by carefully restricting the birds' feed intake.

19. Poultry Judge

Yes, they are a product of their intended purpose. This is Lady.

Lady.jpg

20. robin416

She's huge! Good luck keeping her from eating everything she can get hold of.