Normal for the 1st day in the flock?

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by Sara Silver, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:51 AM.

1. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

Hello! My husband and I have been assembling a backyard flock and last Sun, I picked up 2 cream legbar hens, both 5+ mos old. One is for us, one is for our neighbor.

I gave the legbars the 1st couple days to themselves to settle down. Then today, I added them to our flock of 4 and observed them for an hr. There was the normal running around, flapping and jumping on each other. A few pecks were thrown in by my OE... But then things seemed to settle down and they all began to eat. So I left them for about 20 mins and when I came back, both the legbars were crouched in the corner, side by side with their heads down and pressed into the corner of the coop. I stayed for a few mins and the other hens seemed to be leaving them alone so I went to work.

It was about 2 1/2 hrs before I could return and when I did, the Legbars were STILL crouched in the corner, completely still while my OE stood over them pecking at the feathers on the back of the legbar's neck. When I noticed a little spatter of blood, I took the legbars back out (no se.

I haven't seen this before- our other hens integrated so easily. Was the behavior of the legbars normal? I can't believe they didn't at least try to 'fight' back or evade the others... Thanks for reading and sharing!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Active Member

I would remove the OE. They are known to be a bit on the assertive/aggressive side. Removing the Legbars is going to make the re-integration of these gentle birds more difficult. OE needs a 'time out' cage for a few days.

3. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

When adding new chickens to your flock,unless they were acquired as day olds from a hatchery,you should quarantine the new for 30 days to monitor for disease before adding them to your existing flock.The stress of moving usually brings it out and new can infect old,possibly leading to the loss of your entire flock. This is a very important rule that is often over-looked and it has led to the decimation of entire flocks.Even birds from breeders can be diseased.Just ask Maryellen,she's going through this hell now.

Maryellen and boskelli1571 like this.
  4. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Yep. Quarantine for minimum of 30 days away from the flock. Have blood tests done for mareks and mg preferably before you bring them to your property.
    My breeding goal was just destroyed due to 2 diseases that are lifetime. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 6:05 AM
    seminolewind likes this.
  5. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

It's just so strange because the OE has always been at the very bottom of the pecking order... Her first day, she did give our EE a short chase but I have two Isa Browns who tag-teamed her (but didn't really hurt her) until she knew exactly where she stood. Our EE has a wonderful, friendly temperament but after that, she doesn't take any sh*t from Miss OE.

But thank you for the advice! It had occurred to me today while I was at work that maybe it was the OE's behavior I should have asked about! Once I saw blood, I wanted to get the legbars out in case they had a wound that might prompt any/all the hens to peck until serious injury! When I try again, I'll cage my OE 1st so she can't get out of control.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 5:52 AM
  6. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

Oi vey. And here I'd thought I'd done my due diligence having them all vaccinated, touring the breeders to make sure it was clean/humane and monitoring them for 3 days for signs of illness... Thanks for the warning.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 5:50 AM
  7. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

Oh, well, I do like my hennies very much but at least we don't have that much to lose... We don't breed or show and we own a total of 5 hens, including the new legbar.

8. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

What was that about?

9. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

All I can say is that they have pinless peepers. I got mine on ebay. They don't hurt. They do make it more difficult for the culprit. They can see from the sides but not the front. They don't interfere with eating or drinking. I used them to slow down a teenage rooster.

Cowering with head in the corner is about the worst for a chicken who can't get away. With others a lot of obstacles worked-mostly.

I strongly recommend people keep a closed flock. Which means hatching eggs at home or buying day old chicks from a hatchery. cuts out the chances of introducing a disease by 95% or more. Nothing is 100%. Introducing any birds or chicks aside from that risks a whole flock of diseases that kill or won't ever go away. I bought ONE pullet. I got Marek's. I wished I would have never broke my promise to my flock.

I always buy or try getting 3 at a time because at least they have eachother. I have bullies. That's why I have 4 pens.

Maryellen and boskelli1571 like this.
  10. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

See, we got all chicks at first but came to a point that we felt better buying pullets because of chick fatalities. We did everything the books and breeders said and according to our mentor, we got it all right...we just got unlucky. So we decided we'd be better off trying with vaccinated pullets who were bigger and stronger and we haven't lost one since!

11. Maryellen

See , with this statement, you do have alot to lose.... you can lose all the chickens you currently have due to disease.. their lives ....so to say you don't have alot to lose is sort of true- YOU don't have anything to lose... but your chickens? They have their lives they can lose...

12. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

You say nothing to lose, but I lost my 1st one and I cried. I got attached to our girls and they are amazing, have some funny attitudes. They are God's creatures too and are to be treated as such.

boskelli1571 likes this.
  13. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

Look Maryellen, Wilbur, let's be realistic here- the majority of people who keep chickens eat or "cull" them. Nature is FULL of animals eating other animals and there is risk of disease anywhere... So I don't see how my hens are being treated so differently than the rest of "god's creatures". My husband and I did not create this flock to breed or show chickens, we did it because we did not want to support the horror of factory farming. So in fact, my chicks are a great deal better off than most the species.

As for getting attached...the first time I ever ordered chicks, one arrived dead. and another hrs later...so I had to prepare myself for potential loss a while ago.

All my hens are vaccinated and even thouh asked, I've never had a breeder tell me to observe a 30-day quarantine. If in the short time they were together my 4 chickens have contracted a fatal disease, I will be sad and disappointed. But do I think that the sadness I will feel compares to someone who is losing a flock of dozens of birds they have raised themselves? No. So unless I read your situation wrong, Maryellen (and I say this with sympathy) you, unfortunately, do have a lot more to lose than we. And respectfully, that is why we keep our flock very small and I distance myself a bit... I don't WANT to go through that. But it doesn't mean I don't care about my hens or give them good lives.

It sure would be nice if there were acceptance here of chicken keepers of all kinds.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 8:26 PM
    boskelli1571 likes this.
  14. Wilbur's Mom

Oh goodness no insult was
    Intended. I have no doubt you take care is your girls. I just got attached and didn’t expect it. Actually caught me off guard. Wish you all the bust:)

15. Wilbur's Mom

Sorry best lol too much wine I guess....

16. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

Thanks to you both for saying that. As someone wisely pointed out above, I guess when we have to communicate through the written word, it leaves tone a little too open to interpretation!

Although you are wrong about one thing, W's M...there can NEVER be too much wine!

17. Maryellen

Sorry you took offense. We all know they can be eaten ,pets, etc..