Noisy silkie hens!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jasmin, Jan 16, 2013.

1. jasmin

jasmin New Member

My 2 silkie hens have recently come to their point of lay(approx 3 months ago) and are doing fabulously egg - wise! Each laying one very cute egg each day.. Only problem, they are noisy all the time! It starts in the morning (book book book book) at 5:00am and gets louder-it doesn't appear to stop except when they go back up into their coop at night. I am really worried that the neighbors are going to complain and considering giving them away but I love them so much! Any tips? Are they bored? Can I add something to their coop/run? Thank you

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Hi Jasmin and welcome!! They "celebrate" when they lay an egg, and they tell each other where food is, and what to watch out for, etc., but the only way to calm them down would be with a rooster. A rooster is the boss, and will keep the ladies in check, but then you have the crowing from a rooster to deal with. Along with dealing with the rooster behavior toward you if he's not too friendly. Give the neighbors some fresh eggs from time to time, and ask them if the girls are a problem. Meet it head on with the neighbors, and the neighbors may not be upset! Good luck, and glad to have you around!!! :D

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

They sound adorable! :) As long as there isn't an ordinance, and you only have the 2, I wouldn't worry about it a lot. I haven't been around silkies so I don't know how noisy they are. I just know my Ameraucana has such an awful sqwak that my hubby came running in the house Sunday for me to come right away and check the chickens - something isn't right. Josie laid an egg so she was celebrating. :D

4. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Welcome jasmin! Would love to see some pics of your girls ! I have silkies too!
    Fuzziebutt good idea with giving them some eggs!
    7chicks I agree with the Americanas! You start to recognize the "I just laid an egg "alert between the" help "alert!

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Right now we only have hens and they are getting progressively louder. Almost all are laying eggs, they as well speak all the time, not just when laying.

I debated getting another rooster, however I don't know what advantages of getting a rooster would be.

6. Treehouse

Treehouse New Member

hi Fuzz
    I like your advise. I had to send you this pic as it reminds me of your name every time I see these chicks from the rear.

image-1853030603.jpg

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome to chickenland!

8. jasmin

jasmin New Member

Wow thank you for the everyone's feedback! This is so good to have such a wealth of knowledge at our fingertips and I had no idea how quickly everyone would respond!

Thank you to each of you for your input it is great to know that it's just normal and not something we are doing wrong! I will let you know how we get on with the neeighbors when I take them their eggs! Thanks again!

Jasmin

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Neighbors will probably enjoy the chickens too. Chickens do wonders for keeping insect pests down not to mention what they do for the garden when you work in their plentiful daily "gifts." :D