Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have 11 hens that are under two years old and for some reason they have stopped laying. They used to lay 7-8 eggs a day and know I'm down to 0-2 a day. This has been going on for about 4-5 weeks know and I don't know what to do! It has been cold here (I'm in Indiana, and it is winter), but I have a two lights in there, one is a heat lamp; they have food and water; they aren't stressed as far as I can tell; I've been adding oyster shell to their food and they are not molting or brooding either. Their coop is clean, and they haven't been laying anywhere else. :confused: I don't know what to do. The only other thing I can think of is that the coop is too small but I'm not sure that is the problem either. Do they just stop laying for a while? HELP!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sometimes they just take a break. Mine did the same thing. Are you sure they aren't laying elsewhere if they are allowed to free range? I sometimes find eggs in my hay stall. If they do free range, leave them in a few days so they learn where the correct place to lay is.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
All critters need a break and a revamp ...

Do you keep the lights/heat lamp on 24/7?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I think it's breed related too. My polish stopped, my buff rock has been every other. My Silkie stopped. My red comet is a laying machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts