Chicken Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My golden buff started laying eggs about 8 weeks ago. Steady one every day. But she has completely stopped laying. It's been about 2 weeks and we have got nothing. She is not egg bound. And running around like normal. We live in Ohio and the weather has been up and down. Any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Weather varying, lack of light will do it too. They need around 14 hours of daylight daily to keep laying. Any changes to additions to the flock can change laying habits for a bit. That's all I can think of right off. Hope this helps zero in on the problem for you.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
This is the time of year of molt as well. It could be the molting, light duration, stress, cold, anything really.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am having the same issue. I have 12 hens and only been getting 4 eggs a day. Mine have 16 hrs of light. I think my hens issues stem from being sick last month and having to do a bout of antibiotics. I think they are taking a break. But, I really don't have any idea....I need a chicken whisperer

·
1,466 Posts
I am having the same issue. I have 12 hens and only been getting 4 eggs a day. Mine have 16 hrs of light. I think my hens issues stem from being sick last month and having to do a bout of antibiotics. I think they are taking a break. But, I really don't have any idea....I need a chicken whisperer
16 hours is not rite, you need to slowly lower that to about 14 hours
maybe 15 min. less each week. if you just change it 2 hours that might also screw them up.

good luck
piglett

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
16 hours is not rite, you need to slowly lower that to about 14 hours
maybe 15 min. less each week. if you just change it 2 hours that might also screw them up.

good luck
piglett
Thank you everyone. Unfortunately when we went to feed her tonight she was dead. I am at a loss why. She was upbeat and running around eve.n today. My wife put a heater in the garage for her and a radio. And always has a light on but she was healthy. She was not egg bound. Either. At a loss.

·
1,466 Posts
Thank you everyone. Unfortunately when we went to feed her tonight she was dead. I am at a loss why. She was upbeat and running around eve.n today. My wife put a heater in the garage for her and a radio. And always has a light on but she was healthy. She was not egg bound. Either. At a loss.
i have had good hens just fall over dead :(
it happens , that is why hens have such large cluches
they don't all make it.

sorry about your girl

piglett

·
Registered
468 Posts
oh my gosh that's so awful! I'm so so sorry to hear that! that's just terrible! do you have any idea at all what could have caused it? how old was she? I'm so very sorry for your loss!

·
1,466 Posts
oh my gosh that's so awful! I'm so so sorry to hear that! that's just terrible! do you have any idea at all what could have caused it? how old was she? I'm so very sorry for your loss!
mine was about 10 months old
great looking black orpington hen
no idea what happened, all the others are alive & kicking
sometimes you just don't know

1 - 12 of 12 Posts