Chicken Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife decided that we are going to have chickens cause we are tires of driving and paying for farm fresh eggs. We have an Americana, Silkie and 2 old English bantams. We have had them for around a week...still no eggs from any of them. Just curious if anyone had some input on how long it would take. I understand it could be a while due to stress of a new environment. Is there anything I can so to encourage them along. Thanks!

·
441 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)
Not much you can do but give them time. Birds are individuals, just like us. Some adjust to new surroundings quicker than others. You don't mention the age of the birds, but americanas and silkies are generally late to start laying for the very first time, but the OEGB should lay fairly early - 5 to 6 months.
Be sure to have at least one dummy egg in their nestbox(es) so that they get the idea on where they should lay their eggs. You can buy fake eggs, but I use golfballs. Chickens aren't super bright creatures, as long as it's round and looks sorta like an egg, they'll fall for it.
Good luck with your new adventure.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
How old are they? What are you feeding them?Silkies and Easter Eggers mature late, not sure about the English bantams.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts